Thread poster: Yaiza Cañizares (X)
Yaiza Cañizares (X)
Yaiza Cañizares (X)
Spain
Local time: 06:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 19, 2016

Hello everyone! I'm new in Proz.com I'm currently finishing my BA in English Translation and I've already been offered my first job as a En>Sp interpreter for a conference. That's why I have some doubts:

- are interpreters paid by hour or by day?
- which is the minimum that a interpreter should be paid?
- if the conference takes place in another city/country, are interpreters paid for the trip, food and a
... See more
Hello everyone! I'm new in Proz.com I'm currently finishing my BA in English Translation and I've already been offered my first job as a En>Sp interpreter for a conference. That's why I have some doubts:

- are interpreters paid by hour or by day?
- which is the minimum that a interpreter should be paid?
- if the conference takes place in another city/country, are interpreters paid for the trip, food and accommodation?

Thank you in advance for the information!
Yaizy
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:50
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Consecutive or Simultaneous? Jan 20, 2016

Dear Yaizy,

Welcome to ProZ. My first question would be: is the interpretation consecutive or simultaneous? My guess is that it is a simultaneous interpretation since it is a conference. You know the two are very different. Accordingly, the fees differ depending on which one.

There is a section of ProZ called the Community Rates, which is under the Tools menu. You might find that helpful regarding the rates.

If the conference takes place in another lo
... See more
Dear Yaizy,

Welcome to ProZ. My first question would be: is the interpretation consecutive or simultaneous? My guess is that it is a simultaneous interpretation since it is a conference. You know the two are very different. Accordingly, the fees differ depending on which one.

There is a section of ProZ called the Community Rates, which is under the Tools menu. You might find that helpful regarding the rates.

If the conference takes place in another location, they are expected to pay all your expenses, i.e. meals, transportation, hotel and so on.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:50
English to Thai
+ ...
Check with your neuron limits Jan 20, 2016

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

If the conference takes place in another location, they are expected to pay all your expenses, i.e. meals, transportation, hotel and so on.

I have some bad experience about consecutive interpretation jobs when I worked continuously for 5 tight days. I was basically exhaustive on later days which was bad both for the client and me.
The cause of that failure was too much work made my brain became overloaded and further listening/speaking sessions became defective.
Now I always check my brain readiness prior to each interpretation session of each hour.

Soonthon L.

Saadia Naim

MsYvaine
MsYvaine  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:50
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Guidance only Jan 20, 2016

Hi there,

Rates for interpreting tend to vary greatly worldwide and even nationally, so I'd say set your fee to represent your expertise. In any way, try to position yourself somewhere close to skilled professionals like lawyers, financial consultants or even dentists. Charge roughly 30% more for simultaneous than for consecutive.
Also, since it's a conference, make sure you are prepared, ask questions related to the job to be done, are you going to accompany someone or be in
... See more
Hi there,

Rates for interpreting tend to vary greatly worldwide and even nationally, so I'd say set your fee to represent your expertise. In any way, try to position yourself somewhere close to skilled professionals like lawyers, financial consultants or even dentists. Charge roughly 30% more for simultaneous than for consecutive.
Also, since it's a conference, make sure you are prepared, ask questions related to the job to be done, are you going to accompany someone or be in a booth all day long, or a mixture? I'd set my fees hourly if it was only one type of interpreting throughout and I'd charge a daily fee (with pre arranged breaks!) for different interpreting tasks. Ask for the detailed topics of the speeches, prepare your glossary while studying the subject(s).
All the incurred expenses to be on site should be paid by the client.
Hope this helps!
Collapse

Dalia Nour
Saadia Naim

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:50
Serbian to English
+ ...
BA in English Translation ? Jan 20, 2016

It's nice to start your professional career as soon as possible, but you have to be careful about what you are letting yourself in.

Interpreting is quite different from translating, if your BA in English Translation is only that, [i.e. nothing practical about interpreting], you might be in for quite a shock. I know of very good translators who wouldn't want to have anything to do with interpreting in any shape of form - too stressful for them.

Community Rates on
... See more
It's nice to start your professional career as soon as possible, but you have to be careful about what you are letting yourself in.

Interpreting is quite different from translating, if your BA in English Translation is only that, [i.e. nothing practical about interpreting], you might be in for quite a shock. I know of very good translators who wouldn't want to have anything to do with interpreting in any shape of form - too stressful for them.

Community Rates on Proz won't help you much - it's all rates for translating.

For rates, the best source is to look at what Spanish agencies are charging their clients, and also what is their price structure (min-max hours per day etc) and ask for a fraction of that (40 - 50 - 60 %).

As Soonthon LUPKITARO pointed it out, don't exhaust yourself - what some outsiders see as "just talking" can be extremely tiring. For me, when I start interpreting into the same language as the one I'm listening to, and wonder why everyone is giving me funny looks, it's time for a break ... (did happen once)

As in any business, if you are required to work away from your usual place of residence, expenses (travel, hotel etc) should be covered.

One practical aspect: they should give you a day or two in advance as much as possible background material about the subjects being discussed - no one is a walking encyclopaedia.

Good luck!
Collapse

Ian Ezerin

Yaiza Cañizares (X)
Yaiza Cañizares (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
interpreter fees Jan 20, 2016

Hello guys! thank you very much for all those pieces of advice They all are very useful for me! really!
My studies also include interpreting....sorry for that! I forgot to point it out

[Editado a las 2016-01-20 21:57 GMT]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes Jan 20, 2016

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

Dear Yaizy,

That is an important consideration, but not with regard to rates. Most conferences indeed require simultaneous interpretation. If you haven't studied it, do not attempt simultaneous interpretation at a live job for the first time. It is a recipe for disaster.
You could possibly try other forms of interpreting without prior training (although that wouldn't be without risk either), but you can't really just jump into simul and expect to succeed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

interpreter fees

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »