https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/30058-short_interpreting_courses_in_uk.html

Short Interpreting courses in UK
Thread poster: Man Cunian
Man Cunian
Man Cunian
Local time: 00:10
English to French
+ ...
Mar 3, 2005

Does anyone know if there are any short courses in conference interpreting/interpreting in the UK for complete novices (not refreshers' courses) ?
(as MA course costs are extortionatelly high) Thank you in anticipation

RLR
RLR
German to English
+ ...
If you find out... Mar 3, 2005

Man Cunian wrote:

Does anyone know if there are any short courses in conference interpreting/interpreting in the UK for complete novices (not refreshers' courses) ?

I would be interested in this too, so if anyone knows anything, please let us know!

Thanks

sandra lewis
sandra lewis
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Free Interpreting Course available in Lincolnshire Mar 3, 2005

Well, if you live in Lincolnshire consider yourselves lucky! The Lincolnshire County Council, Education and Cultural Services Directorate, is running the Training for Community Interpreters and Supporters course. It is free, lasts for 8 weeks and is offered yearly I think. The latest one has just started on 23 Feb.

For more details

E.M.A.S Centre, The Primary School, Sturton-by-Stow, Lincoln LN1 2BY

TEL+FAX 01427 787190

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:10
English to Russian
+ ...
In Westminster Mar 3, 2005

[Edited at 2005-03-04 16:55]

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:10
English to Russian
+ ...
Short course with German Mar 3, 2005

Hi,

I would be interested in this too, so if anyone knows anything, please let us know!
Thanks

If you have German as a workinglanguage why don't you take this course: http://www.isg.fask.uni-mainz.de/isg-kurs-8.html

Cheers
Natalia

[Edited at 2005-03-03 20:49]

Rebekka Yates
Rebekka Yates
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
look for funding Mar 4, 2005

To be frank, if you're a novice, a one-year MA course IS a short course: learning to interpret simultaneously takes time and a hell of a lot of practice. You can apply to the AHRB for a grant, though...

Man Cunian
Man Cunian
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 4, 2005

Thanks to all. Sandra, is the course you recommand suitable for an English/French combination ?
Rebekka, do you think you could have cut it -as a conf. interpreter- had you had only one language (which is my case) ? (in other words, in your experience, what are the TRUE chances of someone like myself who could only offer E/F ? -H-Watt tells me it would be OK BUT it's their business to say that). You say that an MA IS a short course, point taken, but how hard was it after yr MA to find wor
... See more
Thanks to all. Sandra, is the course you recommand suitable for an English/French combination ?
Rebekka, do you think you could have cut it -as a conf. interpreter- had you had only one language (which is my case) ? (in other words, in your experience, what are the TRUE chances of someone like myself who could only offer E/F ? -H-Watt tells me it would be OK BUT it's their business to say that). You say that an MA IS a short course, point taken, but how hard was it after yr MA to find work in prestigious organisations ? Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help
Collapse

sandra lewis
sandra lewis
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Lincs course 2 Mar 4, 2005

[quote]Man Cunian wrote:

Hello again

In the Lincs course they only teach you the interpreting techniques, there is no language tuition. However they aim to provide practical training with real assignments.

Man Cunian
Man Cunian
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 4, 2005

Thanks Sandra, sounds interesting. IYO, is it worth taking 8 wks off for this particular course though ? It'd be just about possible for me to do that but tough, I'd really need to know for certain that the course would be of real benefice. Who is it run by, professionals ? What are the main components ?

I noticed that you belong to IOL Lincs. I did not know they had regional outposts, mind I don't know much about IOL ! Have they got one in Manchester ? (or the North)

sandra lewis
sandra lewis
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Linc 3 Mar 6, 2005

Man Cunian wrote:

Thanks Sandra, sounds interesting. Who is it run by, professionals ? What are the main components ?

I noticed that you belong to IOL Lincs. I did not know they had regional outposts, mind I don't know much about IOL ! Have they got one in Manchester ? (or the North)

Hello again

I am afraid I don't have any more info on the course, so perhaps it is worth giving them a ring.

As for the IOL Societies, here is the link and there is one in the North West! For the Lincoln Society you do not have to be an IOL member to join in, perhaps the same applies to the North West one too.

http://www.iol.org.uk/membership/soc_northwest.asp

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
English to German
2-week interpreting course at London Metropolitan University in June Mar 30, 2005

RLR wrote:

Man Cunian wrote:

Thanks

Hallo Man Cunian,

die London Metropolitan University bietet einen zweiwöchigen Kurs an, siehe bitte u. a. Link. Der Kurs findet täglich für vier Stunden außer Freitags statt (wurde mir gesagt) und kostet 250 Pfund. Ich habe mich angemeldet, es müssen sich aber noch mindestens zwei Leute anmelden, die die Kombination Englisch/Deutsch machen wollen.
http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/Demo_Shado/library/h57566_3.pdf
Eine weitere Möglichkeit bietet sich an der Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh, die bieten 1-4 wöchige Kurse an, siehe Link. Zwei Wochen kosten ab 485 Pfund.

http://www.ceebd.co.uk/ceeed/un/uk/hwlang.htm

Elena Volkovaya
Elena Volkovaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Free Interpreting Course in the North West Mar 30, 2005

sandra lewis wrote:

Well, if you live in Lincolnshire consider yourselves lucky! The Lincolnshire County Council, Education and Cultural Services Directorate, is running the Training for Community Interpreters and Supporters course. It is free, lasts for 8 weeks and is offered yearly I think. The latest one has just started on 23 Feb.

For more details

E.M.A.S Centre, The Primary School, Sturton-by-Stow, Lincoln LN1 2BY

TEL+FAX 01427 787190

There is also free Introduction to Community Interpreting training course in Stockport, North West. It is offered yearly, in April, I think, run by Stockport English Language Service Centre.

tel 0161 477 9000
fax 0161 480 1848

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
English to German
Short Course in Interpreting Apr 1, 2005

RLR wrote:

Man Cunian wrote:

Thanks

Hi RLR,

There is a 2-week course in June at the London Metropolitan University for 250 Pounds. I registered for it, but they need two other people who want to do the pair English/German.

Go to Diploma in Public Service Interpreting:

http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/depts/hal/shortcourses/shortcourse_home.cfm

Another option would be the Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh. They offer 1-4 week courses at various levels. A two week course starts at 485 pounds.
www.ceebd.co.uk/ceeed/un/uk/hwlang.htm

Both of the courses apply to other languages as well.

It would be great if you would drop me line on this.

Manuela

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
English to German
Interpreting French/English Apr 1, 2005

Man Cunian wrote:

The courses I quoted below are for various language pairs.

Man Cunian
Man Cunian
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 23, 2005

Manuela, a lot of thanks for that, have you tried the H-W course for beginners (Interpreting) before ? Do you reckon agencies would acknowledge it ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Short Interpreting courses in UK

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »