Is it common for Korean interpreters to work solo in SI setting?
Thread poster: thinkingfish

thinkingfish
Local time: 16:24
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 17

I am currently working as an in-house interpreter (Mandarin-English) for a local operation of a global company. As the company organizes a 2.5 day conference in Asia every year, I always request a second SI interpreter to work with me though there is only one or two delegate on our side who need the service.

However, the Korean operation has being bringing only one interpreter for three years for the whole event.

I consulted my freelancer colleagues and was told by more than three colleagues that it's quite common to see Korean interpreters performing solo SI in the booth at international conferences. I was quite shocked by the news.

Is the environment in Korea really that bad for professional interpreters?

Also I was challenged this year by my employer "why can't you perform three-day SI like your Korean peer." I am still working on a more sophisticated way to defend my rights. Any suggestion?

I am not writing this post to blame anyone though. I know how difficult it is to say no when it is your job on the line here.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it common for Korean interpreters to work solo in SI setting?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search