Interpreter for security company (owner is a family friend) handling celebrity concert
Thread poster: PabloJC
PabloJC
PabloJC
Local time: 00:57
Italian to English
May 25, 2005

Hello. I am writing to all who can give their two cents worth on an opportunity that has presented itself to me.

A close family friend owns a security service company and has been asked to take care of an important celebrity's security concerns for a European tour. The music tour will take place in different countries in Europe performing in three cities in the country where I live. Now this friend asked if I was interested in assisting him with translating material (i.e. fax's,
... See more
Hello. I am writing to all who can give their two cents worth on an opportunity that has presented itself to me.

A close family friend owns a security service company and has been asked to take care of an important celebrity's security concerns for a European tour. The music tour will take place in different countries in Europe performing in three cities in the country where I live. Now this friend asked if I was interested in assisting him with translating material (i.e. fax's, emails, sms) and also performing interpretation via phone to secure appointments, and set up security for the concerts, etc.

I am aware this is not a usual offer, so I am having trouble deciding what to charge, especially because the services needed are so vast and not really specific. Also because it deals with a close family friend.

I will not have to travel in person to perform this but will have to be on call and in contact with this director of security during the whole time the performer is in my country.

Seeing that different services will be performed:

Translating emails, fax's, performing phone conferences and making phone calls on behalf of this security company to insure evrything is set up correctly.

Would a daily rate be correct, or hourly per service rendered?

I do have to admit I do not have professional experience in a situation as this, and honestly do not know what to expect, but it is a great opportunity and great CV filler.

All comments and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Daily Rate May 25, 2005

Discuss it with the client with whom you presumably have a good relationship already. If you can agree that this assignment will tie you up full-time during the entire visit, then charge a daily rate for all the days included. There may be times when you are just waiting, but then "he also serves who only stands and waits".

This is not to mention that you may be called out of a deep sleep or away from a meal to attend to some urgent matter.

That would seem reasonable to
... See more
Discuss it with the client with whom you presumably have a good relationship already. If you can agree that this assignment will tie you up full-time during the entire visit, then charge a daily rate for all the days included. There may be times when you are just waiting, but then "he also serves who only stands and waits".

This is not to mention that you may be called out of a deep sleep or away from a meal to attend to some urgent matter.

That would seem reasonable to me, it should work out quite well.
Collapse

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 17:57
English
Mix of normal and daily rates May 26, 2005

PabloJC wrote:

Now this friend asked if I was interested in assisting him with translating material (i.e. fax's, emails, sms) and also performing interpretation via phone to secure appointments, and set up security for the concerts, etc.

(snip)
I will not have to travel in person to perform this but will have to be on call and in contact with this director of security during the whole time the performer is in my country.

I've heard what happens from a friend who was took care of the equipment for a large rock group on tour, and it's frenetic ... "security" can include getting the drummer out of jail, and "securing appointments" may mean arranging catering or TV interviews.

For the work that happens before the concert arenas and details are set (the booking phase, arranging security details, etc.), charge your usual translation/interpretation rates, plus any "rush" fee. Most of this stuff happens during regular business hours, but there can be flurries of activities.

For the time the artist is actually in the country, charge a reasonable daily rate for trasnslating and interpreting, because you will be working some long, strange hours. Last minute crisis calls are inevitable. you can expect to be doing real-time translations and interpretations at all times of the day and night while the tour is active in your country.

And have fun!

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:27
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
This requires an events manager and not a translator May 30, 2005

Your friend seems to be keen on offloading his responsibilities on to you by engaging you on vague terms. You are capable of translating and interpreting and stick to that only. Let him not persuade you to take on works such as logistics for which you are not qualified. In the bargain, you may lose the friendship too, if the egg hits the fan.

If at all you take up any work, limit your services to just translating and interpreting and charge him hourly rates at 100% of your tariff. O
... See more
Your friend seems to be keen on offloading his responsibilities on to you by engaging you on vague terms. You are capable of translating and interpreting and stick to that only. Let him not persuade you to take on works such as logistics for which you are not qualified. In the bargain, you may lose the friendship too, if the egg hits the fan.

If at all you take up any work, limit your services to just translating and interpreting and charge him hourly rates at 100% of your tariff. Odd hours duty calls for extra tariffs. Just do what you are good at. Friendship has nothing to do here. Any travel, meals etc during the duty hours are to be borne by the employer and let no embarraassed feeling stop you from making all these things plain to your friend.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2005-05-30 10:03]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreter for security company (owner is a family friend) handling celebrity concert

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »