Looking for a site that has speeches in French and Spanish to get my interpreting level back up
Thread poster: Paul Lambert

Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:27
French to English
+ ...
Jun 20, 2005

Hi everyone,

Just a quickie I'm hoping someone can help me with. I used to do a bit of interpreting on a very casual basis after I graduated, and am wanting to brush up my skills again.

I remember at university we had an endless supply of speeches on tape in the language labs, and we used to sit and interpret there every day to finely tune our interpreting skills.

This is really what I feel I need to do now, as my simultaneous interpreting is highly rusty now, but I obviously don't have my university language lab to fall back on. Ideally, I am looking for a site that has speeches in French and Spanish that I can listen to in real player, and thereby get m interpreting level up to working standards again.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated! I do sight-translation every now and then, but it doesn't quite catch the feel of listening to a speech while concentrating on interpeting - the bit I'm most rusty on!!!!

Thanks!

Paul

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-21 21:06]

Direct link Reply with quote

Aleksandra Kwasnik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:27
Polish to German
+ ...
Europe by Satellite Jun 20, 2005

Something like this?

http://europa.eu.int/comm/ebs/mp3_en.cfm

A.

Javier Herrera
Spanish
... Jun 20, 2005

Audio: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/examin/audiosam/ri-sam.htm
I know there's loads more in the UN website, but not necessarily in audio. If the link I provided is not enough (you soon get tired of your old speeches!) it's always a good idea to sight translate and/or record yourself reading for future interpretation.
HTH
Javier

Pat Jenner
Local time: 22:27
German to English
+ ...
Could you find someone else in the same position? Jun 21, 2005

I like Javier's suggestion of recording yourself and using that as source material, but if you could find someone else (maybe someone you studied with) who also wants to practice their skills you could record for each other.

Marion Sadoux
China
Local time: 06:27
English to French
+ ...
Try this website Jun 24, 2005

You will find plenty of excellent recordings(Nato and UN speeches, recordings about different topics for didactic purposes, most recordings are available with a transcription) and tips to practice interpreting on : http://www.bestspeech.it
Good luck.

Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
EP: Séances en directe Jun 28, 2005

When I can, I interpret the EP Plenaries http://www2.europarl.eu.int/sce/server/internet/home_page/sce_home_page_01.jsp
You can also download the speeches right in the aftermath, both the audio and the word format.

Actually if you have a satellite, it is more practical to watch the sittings live on EBS as it's easier to change the default language.

Good luck (same problem here...)

Paola

Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
wrong link? Jun 28, 2005

mamasa wrote:

You will find plenty of excellent recordings(Nato and UN speeches, recordings about different topics for didactic purposes, most recordings are available with a transcription) and tips to practice interpreting on : http://www.bestspeech.it
Good luck.

Hi, I clicked on your link, but I cannot open the page. Something wrong?
'night
Paola

Marion Sadoux
China
Local time: 06:27
English to French
+ ...
It does work... keep clicking Jul 6, 2005

Paola,
It does work. I used it for a couple of hours today. It can be a bit temperamental. Once you have selected a "conference" you want to hear or play, try right clicking on the icon. Sometimes it opens a page that says it can't be displayed but if you right click again it usually starts working.
Good luck with it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a site that has speeches in French and Spanish to get my interpreting level back up

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search