Mixing brands for conference interpreting equipment
Thread poster: Jason Raff

Jason Raff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 6

What are your experiences in assembling equipment components for conference interpreting?

Specifically, my organization has a portable "tour-guide" type interpreting system with locked-channel FM transmitters and receivers, which we frequently use for small committee conferences.

We would like to adapt this system for use in a conference setting by adding long-range FM transmitters and interpreter consoles for each of our output languages. It is difficult to assess cros
... See more
What are your experiences in assembling equipment components for conference interpreting?

Specifically, my organization has a portable "tour-guide" type interpreting system with locked-channel FM transmitters and receivers, which we frequently use for small committee conferences.

We would like to adapt this system for use in a conference setting by adding long-range FM transmitters and interpreter consoles for each of our output languages. It is difficult to assess cross-brand compatibility from product descriptions online.

Can any FM transmitter be configured to broadcast to the appropriate channel frequency on a set of locked-channel receivers?
Do the receivers find the frequency automatically based on a channel designation?
Is it possible to combine, say, a Williams Sound interpreter console with an Enersound FM transmitter and Retekess T131 receivers?

I'm trying not to drop tens of thousands of dollars on a completely new comprehensive system if we can adapt what we already have...
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:46
French to English
My experience Nov 7

In my experience, this type of extra equipment can be hired from a business that specializes in this type of service. They will also provide advice. In fact, when I am called for interpreting jobs, the client supplies the necessary equipment and the techies to go with it.

[Edited at 2019-11-07 13:34 GMT]

Jason Raff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mixing brands for conference interpreting equipment Nov 11

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

In my experience, this type of extra equipment can be hired from a business that specializes in this type of service. They will also provide advice. In fact, when I am called for interpreting jobs, the client supplies the necessary equipment and the techies to go with it.

[Edited at 2019-11-07 13:34 GMT]

Thanks Nikki. I work for an organization that holds multiple multilingual conference events throughout the year. Renting is not cost-effective for us, so we are trying to assemble our own suite of equipment.

Our interpreting staff likes the Retekess T-130 and T-131 "tour guide" system, and my experience with these has been good, too. However, I want to be able to adapt the receivers to an appropriate long-range transmitter and interpreter console.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mixing brands for conference interpreting equipment

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search