Thread poster: Yelena.
Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:08
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 25, 2005

I have recently started doing some interpreting for Lincolnshire Police and accidentally found out that they, together with 5 other constabularies in the Midlands, will soon start using the services of CINTRA (www.cintra.org.uk), rather than book interpreters directly. Apparently CINTRA offers rates much lower than the police to their interpreters and many now refuse to register with them.

Does any
... See more
I have recently started doing some interpreting for Lincolnshire Police and accidentally found out that they, together with 5 other constabularies in the Midlands, will soon start using the services of CINTRA (www.cintra.org.uk), rather than book interpreters directly. Apparently CINTRA offers rates much lower than the police to their interpreters and many now refuse to register with them.

Does anyone know any more details about this contract?
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Join the action group Jul 26, 2005

Hi Yelena,

The NRPSI action group and NUPIT (the AMICUS national union for professional interpreters and translators) are campaiging around these issues and you can join their mailing list if you give me your email address. Public service interpreters are becoming increasingly alarmed at the involvement of private agencies who keep their share of the fees intended for the travel expenses and hourly rate of interpreters. From the police's viewpoint, outsourcing works out cheaper beca
... See more
Hi Yelena,

The NRPSI action group and NUPIT (the AMICUS national union for professional interpreters and translators) are campaiging around these issues and you can join their mailing list if you give me your email address. Public service interpreters are becoming increasingly alarmed at the involvement of private agencies who keep their share of the fees intended for the travel expenses and hourly rate of interpreters. From the police's viewpoint, outsourcing works out cheaper because the police don't need to "waste" time on phoning round for an interpreter and on processing numerous invoices per month. The rate police constabularies need to pay to subscribe to the National Register of Public Service Interpreters has also risen significantly recently.
But these savings are made at the expense of the interpreter, whose rates are much reduced and at the expense of the quality of interpreting, because some agencies are unscrupulous in using interpreters with insufficient training and without the required qualifications.
Collapse

Marion Sadoux
Marion Sadoux
China
Local time: 00:08
English to French
+ ...
NRPSI Jul 26, 2005

Surely somewhere along the line the NRPSI is to blame too. Why have they increased the fee they charge the Police or other public service providers? Is the NRPSI a commercial enterprise? Intepreters have to pay for membership.
Once service providers start using agencies, what garanty is there that they will send someone who is actually on the NRPSI and qualified?
I get the impression that the more attempts there are to regulate the profession, the worse off intepreters and transla
... See more
Surely somewhere along the line the NRPSI is to blame too. Why have they increased the fee they charge the Police or other public service providers? Is the NRPSI a commercial enterprise? Intepreters have to pay for membership.
Once service providers start using agencies, what garanty is there that they will send someone who is actually on the NRPSI and qualified?
I get the impression that the more attempts there are to regulate the profession, the worse off intepreters and translators become. Perhaps it would have been a good idea in the first place for the NRPSI to actually be set up as a public body rather than yet another offshoot of IoL?
Collapse

Buff
Buff
Italian to English
+ ...
Cintra in tghe UK your question Oct 6, 2005

Yelena. wrote:

Does anyone know any more details about this contract?

Its a partnership between a number of public services and cintra where the services pay a fee in order to have the hassle of finding interpreters when one is needed lifted.
Cintra calls you and delas witht the service provider at the same time.
You do the job you are paid by Cintra directly not the service provider who pays Cintra.
Yes the rates are lower according to what you do - health is the lowest - the police is abit higher but no as high as register interpreters. In Norfolk the ubrella agency is Intran.
There is a different issue here as well between having the DPSI and being on the register, see my note.
Which other constabularies are joining up? Not everybody is part of Intran/Cintra. If you launch a google search with the word Intran in it you will get to a website that has a list of partners of Cintra. Hope this helps
Buff

Buff
Buff
Italian to English
+ ...
NUPIT I may have something worth to contribute Oct 6, 2005

Anne Lee wrote:

Hi Yelena,

The NRPSI action group and NUPIT (the AMICUS national union for professional interpreters and translators) are campaiging around these issues and you can join their mailing list if you give me your email address. Public service interpreters are becoming increasingly alarmed at the involvement of private agencies who keep their share of the fees intended for the travel expenses and hourly rate of interpreters. From the police's viewpoint, outsourcing works out cheaper because the police don't need to "waste" time on phoning round for an interpreter and on processing numerous invoices per month. The rate police constabularies need to pay to subscribe to the National Register of Public Service Interpreters has also risen significantly recently.
But these savings are made at the expense of the interpreter, whose rates are much reduced and at the expense of the quality of interpreting, because some agencies are unscrupulous in using interpreters with insufficient training and without the required qualifications.

Can you contact me please I would be interesting to speak to this action group. I have sat on both side of the fence this means I was a police officer then became an interpreter. In Cintras defence, they have always advertised tehmselves as a non profit organisation. I have been around to see this since it first started I was one of 3 DPSI qualified interpreters in my region back in 1998 and have seen good and not so good things happening since. I would be happy to contribute to a discussion.
Buff

Marion Sadoux
Marion Sadoux
China
Local time: 00:08
English to French
+ ...
Can you contact me too Dec 9, 2005

Are there any new developments on that front (Cintra/NRPSI)?
I would like to be kept informed.
Many Thanks
[email protected]

Monika Sojka
Monika Sojka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
English to Polish
+ ...
me too Jun 18, 2006

could you keep me updated as well? [email protected]

Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I never got your invitation to join your action group... Jul 14, 2006

... maybe because I am not on the National Register of PSI.

Anyway, BBC Radio Lincolnshire has started investigating how much money Lincolnshire Police actually spend on interpreters/CINTRA.

I've got a recording of the radio programme and would have uploaded it here if I knew how.

Anyway, those interested - please contact me and I will email you the file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CINTRA in the UK

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »