What kind of equipment do I need for telephone interpreting?
Thread poster: Federica Eriani (X)
Federica Eriani (X)
Federica Eriani (X)
Local time: 01:00
Italian
+ ...
Nov 17, 2005

Hello,

having worked as a consecutive interpreter for about 2 years, I am now thinking of extending my services to telephone interpreting. As I am planning to do this from home, I was wondering whether I need to have any special equipment. In addition to a land line number and telephone, that is. I have searched through previous forum posts and have found a lot of useful information on rates, but nothing on equipment. Can anyone shed some light on this? Also, I have recently install
... See more
Hello,

having worked as a consecutive interpreter for about 2 years, I am now thinking of extending my services to telephone interpreting. As I am planning to do this from home, I was wondering whether I need to have any special equipment. In addition to a land line number and telephone, that is. I have searched through previous forum posts and have found a lot of useful information on rates, but nothing on equipment. Can anyone shed some light on this? Also, I have recently installed Skype on my computer and I was wondering whether this is used for telephone interpreting at all. Thanks to all in advance for your answers
Federica
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:00
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
an old thread Nov 18, 2005

Hi Federica,

You'll find some information in this thread:
http://www.proz.com/topic/26621

Maria

Federica Eriani (X)
Federica Eriani (X)
Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Maria :) Nov 18, 2005

Just the information I was looking for!

teju
teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sounded familiar Nov 18, 2005

Federica Eriani wrote:

Hello,

having worked as a consecutive interpreter for about 2 years, I am now thinking of extending my services to telephone interpreting. As I am planning to do this from home, I was wondering whether I need to have any special equipment. In addition to a land line number and telephone, that is. I have searched through previous forum posts and have found a lot of useful information on rates, but nothing on equipment. Can anyone shed some light on this? Also, I have recently installed Skype on my computer and I was wondering whether this is used for telephone interpreting at all. Thanks to all in advance for your answers
Federica

Federica, I'm glad Maria sent you the link to the first time this question was asked. I remember writing some suggestions. If you have any other questions, you can send me an email through my profile page. I now have been doing telephonic interpretation for more than two years and love it. Good luck to you!
teju

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Depends... Nov 20, 2005

...on the clients you may have. If you have a number of direct clients, you should discuss their requirements with them.

Our USA friend may have a contract with a court and in that case it is justified to have the equipment he recommends. Courts would give you the time in advance when they need you. But UK courts don't use telephone interpretation.

Most telephone interpreters are signed on with a telephone interpreting agency, and available for a certain amount of time
... See more
...on the clients you may have. If you have a number of direct clients, you should discuss their requirements with them.

Our USA friend may have a contract with a court and in that case it is justified to have the equipment he recommends. Courts would give you the time in advance when they need you. But UK courts don't use telephone interpretation.

Most telephone interpreters are signed on with a telephone interpreting agency, and available for a certain amount of time. The work is sporadic. It is not like a call centre, where you generate the calls. One day you will be on the phone for hours, the next day you may not have any calls. Nobody can guarantee to keep you busy all the time, and in any case, you won't be their only English-Italian interpreter on duty.

If you are going to work with an agency, all you need is a landline and a good digital portable telephone handset, so you can move about a bit, and carry it in your pocket. You may consider to have two handsets, if you are likely to forget to recharge in time. NOT a mobile phone! It is the agency's responsibility to connect the relevant parties, and they have the equipment to do it.

The only other things are pen or pencil always at hand, a notebook to log the dates and times of your calls for your own benefit and scrap paper or pad to make notes to help yourself during the call, but you don't keep these notes.

By the way, a good agency would also give you adequate information about all aspects of telephone interpreting, may even provide some training, and they have set rates.

After a while, when you find you like the work and are quite busy, you may decide to get a hand free set or headset, microphone, whatever, you don't have to rush into it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What kind of equipment do I need for telephone interpreting?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »