Thread poster: picko924
picko924
picko924
Local time: 17:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 13, 2006

Hi,
I have recently been offered a 3 day interpreting project abroad (Dubai) and the agency I work for has asked me to provide details of my daily rate abroad, my travel charges and any other expenses. I would like to know exactly what I should be asking for in this kind of situation.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm moving this topic to the interpreters' forum Jul 13, 2006

By the way, you can search for rates discussions in the contents of that forum by using the forum search engine.

(Above, right: click on search forum).

[Edited at 2006-07-13 20:18]

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Abroad Jul 14, 2006

Well, as you have to move from your place, it should be somewhat higher (your choice entirely) than your regular charges. Also, ask them to provide Food, accommodation, Visa Charges (if involved) and airline ticket (i.e. you have a contract that states this will be in addition to your charges). Then you wouldn't have to worry unnecessarily about those charges. At least that's how I did it.

I mean with all those nonpayers around how else can you be sure that you are not footing
... See more
Well, as you have to move from your place, it should be somewhat higher (your choice entirely) than your regular charges. Also, ask them to provide Food, accommodation, Visa Charges (if involved) and airline ticket (i.e. you have a contract that states this will be in addition to your charges). Then you wouldn't have to worry unnecessarily about those charges. At least that's how I did it.

I mean with all those nonpayers around how else can you be sure that you are not footing the bills too... if you know what I mean. Once they have given you the airline ticket (return ticket) and paid for your Visa (for which you'd anyways require a document from them) you are at least sure of your position. In that letter, they need to specify that you'd be staying in 'X' hotel and that they'd be paying for the board and lodging. This was a mandatory requirement of the embassy (at least in my case).

And of course, this implies lessening of your risk and liabilities.

I hope this was of some help.

Sincerely,

Ritu
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
The usual practice Jul 14, 2006

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

I mean with all those nonpayers around how else can you be sure that you are not footing the bills too... if you know what I mean. Once they have given you the airline ticket (return ticket) and paid for your Visa (for which you'd anyways require a document from them) you are at least sure of your position. In that letter, they need to specify that you'd be staying in 'X' hotel and that they'd be paying for the board and lodging. This was a mandatory requirement of the embassy (at least in my case).

And of course, this implies lessening of your risk and liabilities.

I hope this was of some help.

Sincerely,

Ritu

is a fixed daily and half-day rate, a minimum briefing rate based on lucrum cessans (which should never be lower than what you would earn for a day of translation), plus a per diem to cover food and sundry personal expenses -- applicable to all assignments out of your city of residence -- which may be based on the consumer price index at destination. It goes without saying that airfare, any visa charges and accommodation will be paid for and billed to the client (i.e., it's the client who may deduct this from his income).

Any personal expenses charged to the per diem must be accounted for in taxes if this item is included in the invoice.

[Edited at 2006-07-14 10:27]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

interpreting abroad- charges

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »