volunteer conference interpreting- any ideas?
Thread poster: Felicity Raikes (X)
Felicity Raikes (X)
Felicity Raikes (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 09:20
French to English
+ ...
Nov 7, 2006

I've recently completed my studies in translation and interpreting, and have heard that volunteering for charities and NGOs can be a good way to gain experience in conference interpreting. I've tried ICVolunteers and Babels, but no luck so far. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm in the UK, but can travel pretty much anywhere within Europe.

Magdalena Macinska
Magdalena Macinska  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
suggestion of an NGO Nov 11, 2006

Hi,

First of all, I think you have contacted the right organisations. I don't have any experiences working with the ICVolunteers yet, but I have worked with Babels. Keep on looking regularly at the forum, very often there is info about non-Babel projects, especially in the UK.
As for the European Social Forum last year it took place in May so they will probably contacting you about the possibilities of interpreting around this time of the year.

Personally, I am
... See more
Hi,

First of all, I think you have contacted the right organisations. I don't have any experiences working with the ICVolunteers yet, but I have worked with Babels. Keep on looking regularly at the forum, very often there is info about non-Babel projects, especially in the UK.
As for the European Social Forum last year it took place in May so they will probably contacting you about the possibilities of interpreting around this time of the year.

Personally, I am a volunteer interpreter for ATD Fourth World. This is an international NGO dealing with building a dialogue with people living in poverty. The organisation originated from France but the teams of permanent volunteers are from all over Europe. A few times a year ATD organises conferences and meetings for the members of the mouvement. Interpretation is much needed and apreaciated.
I am sure they could use a help with your language combinations.

If you would like to contact ATD here are websites: www.atd-quartmonde.org; ATD-Uk: www.atd-uk.org. If you would like a direct contact to the person responsible for interpreting, do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Good luck!

Magdalena
Collapse

Lorenia de la Vega
Lorenia de la Vega  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
ICV Nov 27, 2006

felicityjane wrote:

I've recently completed my studies in translation and interpreting, and have heard that volunteering for charities and NGOs can be a good way to gain experience in conference interpreting. I've tried ICVolunteers and Babels, but no luck so far. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm in the UK, but can travel pretty much anywhere within Europe.

I've worked with ICV quite a few times Switzerland office and France office as well), and they're great. I have even had the chance to work on projects with them where the clients paid us, paid for our travel expenses and accomodations, and our meals. I met interpreters in France, England, Spain, Belgium, Chile, etc that were working for them as well, and made friends, new business contacts, and gained experience thanks to which I have been hired by other NGOs and financial institutions.

I think with ICV you just really have to let them know that you're willing to travel and email them whenever you see new events on their website. I know that for two recent conferences, they flew in people from Paris, Barcelona, and Cambridge, so I'm sure you'll get a chance to work with them if you let them know you're very interested.

Felicity Raikes (X)
Felicity Raikes (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Nov 27, 2006

thanks very much for your help! i'll keep trying with ICV and hopefully something will come up soon!
: )

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

volunteer conference interpreting- any ideas?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »