The best thing about working as an interpreter?
Thread poster: Radica Schenck

Radica Schenck  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:12
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Nov 11, 2006

Dear colleagues,

in your opinion and experience, what is the best thing about working as an interpreter?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxEmmanuelleAn  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Diversity Nov 11, 2006

The opportunity to work in different fields and learn a lot of things. There's no routine in that job. This week I am working on a conference on environmental issues, then there will be a conference on child abuse (not necessarily funny but interesting still), then a literary festival. See, very different topics...Thanks to that job, I got the opportunity to work for grande maison of haute couture. So far, it's the best assignment I have ever worked on as I love fashion.I got the chance to get a glimpse of what's behind the scenes of the fashion world. I just loved it!

Lorenia Rincon  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:12
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
for me it is that you "travel" to so many worlds.... Nov 12, 2006

I get to "travel" to many "worlds" when I work at a conference because you get inside many different subjects and learn a lot about different subjects.

I also love the variety of themes that I get to work on: this week started with a Sales Conference for a Group of Franchise Owners of a Fast Food Chain, they were fun and very loud, the next day I was working at a Seminar about maintenance for Trenching Machines and today I worked at for a large IT company at the launch of new revolutionary software...next week it will be medicine all week...you do not have time to get bored... Sometimes you get to dress up very nice and work at a gala dinner, and some other times you have to wear jeans and protective footwear to work at a rock quarry. I would not change my type of work for any other!

I does require constant studying and dedication... but I am some kind of nerd who loves to study, so that is fun as well.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Seconded Nov 12, 2006

What Emanuelle and Lorenia have mentioned are also the best things I like about interpreting.

To that I would have to add the people you get to meet. There is nothing better to have a nice travel assignment and then when the day is done, to sit down with some of the participants and have a drink and good conversation. That conversation will inevitably include opportunities to ask questions and expand knowledge.

Plus the visibility you get interpreting at events provides a real boost for business. You get a chance to showcase your talents before an audience that can include many potential clients.

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Travel, Meeting interesting people and Knowledge Nov 13, 2006

Hi,

Well, I've been to some interesting places while working as an interpreter and met people I'd never meet otherwise. And of course, some of my best clients, for translations, are those that I met while interpreting. They liked my work and...

Still the most interesting part is that it's a good knowledge and vocabulary learning exercise. After my last stint (at a milk processing plant) I know how to make cheese and all the vocabulary as the resource persons (French) were so much in love with their work that even after work-hours when we were back at hotel they'd discuss the intricacies of trade and technical aspects while we had dinner. I had a sort of crash course in milk processing without going to any university.

I think I learned more than anyone else in that meeting.

It was fun.

Ritu

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 22:12
English to Russian
+ ...
As usual, Henry said it all for me:-) Nov 13, 2006

So did all the posters.

Just an example - I have just returned home to Houston from an assignment in Barcelona, to which I added a few personal days in Madrid and met 2 Prozians - Parrot and Cindy Chadd, and they treated me to a superb dinner and we had a great chat! I now have friends in Spain. The assignment originally came from Proz and since 2004 it brings me to a different European country every year!

As far as business is concerned, showing up and showing-off:-) at such assignments is worth months and years of marketing from your PC!

Best of the luck,
Irene

[Edited at 2006-11-13 15:17]

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Every day, is an adventure. Nov 16, 2006

Instead of being in an office looking to the world outside your window, you are outside, living it.

Besides, imagine all the stories you will tell your grandchildren, like the time you were in a fighter plane or when you went down a mine shaft.

And the adrenaline rush... when you have only half a second to find the right word, knowing that there is no second chances ... and you do it.

And of course, when, at the end of the conference, the lecturer thanks you and the whole room applauds.

Hey, it's fun.

[Editado a las 2006-11-16 14:00]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The best thing about working as an interpreter?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search