https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/64548-current_rates_for_whisper_interpreting.html

current rates for whisper-interpreting
Thread poster: Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 08:57
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 28, 2007

Please give me an idea of the current rates for whisper-interpreting.

The context: to provide whisper interpreting for one person during a conference. There will be two sessions per day, each session lasts about 3 hrs.

Do you think one interpreter can handle it alone or it is necessary to engage 2?

I am asking because i was offered to perform but i have not done it for years and years
<
... See more

The context: to provide whisper interpreting for one person during a conference. There will be two sessions per day, each session lasts about 3 hrs.

Do you think one interpreter can handle it alone or it is necessary to engage 2?

I am asking because i was offered to perform but i have not done it for years and years

Thank you all,
V.
Collapse

EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:57
English to French
+ ...
My opinion Jan 28, 2007

I have always found whispered interpreting more difficult than simultaneous interpreting from the "comfort" of the booth. You need to control the sound of your voice, you are disturbed by neighbouring sounds etc... which put your concentration efforts under great pressure!It generates more strain. Obviously you want to work in pair for that kind of assignment. Personally, I do not like whispered interpreting for all the reasons mentioned above. I would tend to charge more than my usual rate for ... See more
I have always found whispered interpreting more difficult than simultaneous interpreting from the "comfort" of the booth. You need to control the sound of your voice, you are disturbed by neighbouring sounds etc... which put your concentration efforts under great pressure!It generates more strain. Obviously you want to work in pair for that kind of assignment. Personally, I do not like whispered interpreting for all the reasons mentioned above. I would tend to charge more than my usual rate for that kind of assignment. On top of that, most clients seem not to like it that much. I don't think they really enjoy having somebody on their back for an entire morning/afternoon! I remember once after an entire morning of whispered interpreting, the client fell asleep! My colleague and I just did not know what to do...We really felt like laughing because our client was...snoring! (thank God, it was not loud enough to disturb the entire audience). On another occasion, the client was too embarassed to tell me that she was hearing impaired and that her left hear could not hear any sound. Unfortunately I'd picked the wrong ear. She eventually told me about her problem after the morning session was over!

[Edited at 2007-01-28 20:45]
Collapse

erika rubinstein
erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
The same as for a simultaneous one. Jan 28, 2007

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
i am looking for straight figures Jan 28, 2007

Could someone please tell me some numbes in any currency for one hour or per day of whisper interpreting (or simultaneous interpreting if the rates are considered to be the same)?

Like $150.00 / hour or $300.00/day.. please. And if there is one 2 hr long session in one day (but it's out of town) shouldn't i charge per day as for other days where there will be two sessions?

Could you whisper-interpret, say, for 2-3 hours on your own or it's better be 2 translators involv
... See more
Could someone please tell me some numbes in any currency for one hour or per day of whisper interpreting (or simultaneous interpreting if the rates are considered to be the same)?

Like $150.00 / hour or $300.00/day.. please. And if there is one 2 hr long session in one day (but it's out of town) shouldn't i charge per day as for other days where there will be two sessions?

Could you whisper-interpret, say, for 2-3 hours on your own or it's better be 2 translators involved? (Thank you for your feedback, dear EmmanuelleAnn!)

Thanks,
V.

erika rubinstein wrote:

Collapse

Christrin Lagunsad
Christrin Lagunsad
Local time: 20:57
English to Indonesian
+ ...
What an experience! Jan 29, 2007

I couldn't imagine what was your reaction when you found your client sleeping and snoring. What an experience, thanks for sharing

EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Answer Jan 29, 2007

[quote]Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

Always charge per day. I cannot help you for the rates. All I can say is that professional interpreters charge far more than $300/day for that kind of assignment.

Could you whisper-interpret, say, for 2-3 hours on your own or it's better be 2 translators involved?

You just cannot do it on your own! Two interpreters (not translators) is a MUST.

Bon courage!

[Edited at 2007-01-29 10:10]

erika rubinstein
erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Vladimir, I think, we have different rates in Germany and Canada. Jan 29, 2007

You should better ask Canadian interpreters (maybe some association). If you work for 2 or 3 hours, I would charge half a day, but it will be something like 70 % of a day rate.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jan 29, 2007

I looked on the Net and found several rate-schedules provided by agencies (so i believe interpreters get about 50% of the rate given to clients.
The numbers vary from USD125.00/hr (UK agency) to USD250.00/hr (Moscow agency). Interesting, isn't it?:-)

EmmanuelleAnn wrote:

Bon courage!

[Edited at 2007-01-29 10:10]

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to erica: thank you Jan 29, 2007

Indeed.
Regarding asking 'association', i doubt it will work, as in this case i had not been asked to do it (as i am definitely not with the association, and the provider is a professional agency so i may assume the association had not been of a great help so far.

erika rubinstein wrote:

You should better ask Canadian interpreters (maybe some association).

ElChe (X)
ElChe (X)
Vatican City State
English to Spanish
+ ...
some straight figures.. Jan 31, 2007

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

Thank you all,
V.

As another respondant already replied; the same rate that applies to simultaneous. After all, it is the same ..just whispered.

Here in the U.S. as a court interpreter you could charge OVER the standard per-diem ($265.00 in CA) for an assignment like that. In fact, I would estimate that in California an assignment like that would pay at least about
$ 300.00 (US) for two 3 hour segments AND approximately another $50 per hour (or fraction thereof) over 6 hours total.

Depending on your skills and energy levels, you might NOT need a second interpreter. However your comments seem to suggest you might be a little rusty, in which case you'll DEFINITELY need a back-up.

Dasveedanya moi drug.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your input Jan 31, 2007

Very useful to know.
Thank you for your time,
V.

ElChe wrote:
As another respondant already replied; the same rate that applies to simultaneous. After all, it is the same ..just whispered.

[Edited at 2007-01-31 08:09]

Joyce A
Joyce A  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:57
English to Japanese
+ ...
Whisper with some pizzicato and pizzazz! Feb 25, 2007

Hello EmmanuelleAnn!

That was a funny predicament with your client snoring but I can fully understand how that can happen.

Whispering does present its problems. It's great in the morning when the client has had coffee and is raring to go. The tricky part is in the afternoon session--immediately after a gorgeous lunch. It's sometimes hard to ward off those sleep-inducing elfins and it's a natural inclination to want to snore away!

In times like these, I v
... See more
Hello EmmanuelleAnn!

That was a funny predicament with your client snoring but I can fully understand how that can happen.

Whispering does present its problems. It's great in the morning when the client has had coffee and is raring to go. The tricky part is in the afternoon session--immediately after a gorgeous lunch. It's sometimes hard to ward off those sleep-inducing elfins and it's a natural inclination to want to snore away!

In times like these, I vary my tone and pitch. Some staccato in the voice also helps to keep the client alert. It works. The key is in not letting your voice drone on in a monotone because that's the client's ticket to slumberland.

[Edited at 2007-02-25 10:20]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

current rates for whisper-interpreting

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »