Off topic: Help with a character who is an interpreter
Thread poster: Deschant

Deschant
Local time: 21:35
Apr 25, 2007

Dear interpreters,

Besides being a translator, I also try to write fiction whenever I have time (which is not very often, alas). I am currently working on the first draft of a novel in which one of the main characters is a conference interpreter who works mainly for the UE institutions, and she will probably be based in Brussels or Luxembourg.

The fact that she is an interpreter is not really crucial to the plot: i.e. there are not significant events which happen to her while she's at work, nor I plan to describe in detail her work environment. However, it still has a symbolic meaning, because she and her family are marked by language/identity conflicts, and it is ironic that, in despite of that, she has choosen to work as a linguistic mediator. Therefore I will make some references to her routine of work or her career progress, which I would not like to be incorrect or exaggerated.

As I am not an interpreter, I would like to ask those of you willing to help me to contact me in private, and I will forward you my (short) list of questions. These will deal mainly with aspects such as the organization of work (i.e., if an interpreter with such a profile would work through agencies, in-house or dealing directly with the customer; how many years would she have needed before getting established, etc.). I don't plan to ask questions about rates or average income.

I have no guarantee whether this novel will be ever published, but, if I manage to have it published, I will of course acknowledge your help in the "acknowledgements" section!

Thanks and best regards,

Eva

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:35
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
good luck Apr 25, 2007

Eva, I'm not an interpreter, I'm just writing to say that this story sounds really interesting, and that I'm looking forward to seeing you finish it and have it published. Best of luck!

Maria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with a character who is an interpreter

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search