First time doing court interpreting. Custody Review case. Help!
Thread poster: praviles
praviles
praviles
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 28, 2007

Hello everyone!

I have been working for a small local interpreting agency (at schools, law offices, clinics...).

I decided to try my luck at court interpreting (in NC, USA). First step, to take the AOC training and written exams. I passed! Next step, the oral exam, which is the one I am most nervous about. Most people in my AOC training class had court interpreting experience. I have none.

Next week, I get my very first opportunity. (I was hoping for some
... See more
Hello everyone!

I have been working for a small local interpreting agency (at schools, law offices, clinics...).

I decided to try my luck at court interpreting (in NC, USA). First step, to take the AOC training and written exams. I passed! Next step, the oral exam, which is the one I am most nervous about. Most people in my AOC training class had court interpreting experience. I have none.

Next week, I get my very first opportunity. (I was hoping for something like traffic) It is a custody review case. The parents will be there, with their respective lawyers, the DSS attorney will be there and, of course, the judge. I have everyone's names. Each child has a case number, I have those as well as their names. (3 attorneys, parents, judge = 6 people!!)

I am not sure what else I need to know in order to prep for this case.
Also, I assume that this will be a situation where I will be sitting next to the NES person at a table along with his/her/their??? attorney.

If anyone can offer any sort of advice, suggestions... I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you!

[Edited at 2007-07-28 19:14]
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Should be OK Jul 28, 2007

I've done a lot of those kinds of cases, not to mention that I have also worked in Child Protective Services. Such hearings tend to be less formal than many. I would recommend trying to get a least some case background by approaching the caseworker before the hearing, who hopefully gets there a bit early as is usual practice. Any of the attorneys can also help you with case background.

Getting the names and knowing the players is very good strategy.

Yes, you are sure to
... See more
I've done a lot of those kinds of cases, not to mention that I have also worked in Child Protective Services. Such hearings tend to be less formal than many. I would recommend trying to get a least some case background by approaching the caseworker before the hearing, who hopefully gets there a bit early as is usual practice. Any of the attorneys can also help you with case background.

Getting the names and knowing the players is very good strategy.

Yes, you are sure to sit next to the non-English speaker and interpret the proceedings for that person, and you might be called to interpret for them with that person's attorney before the hearing, or if the person testifies.

It it's a review then the client has been in the system a while and should have some understanding of it, and there should not be any heated controversy. Generally at that stage clients are cooperative.

Be sure to get a good spot in the courtroom where you can hear well, it may or may not be with the attorney; and did I say to get there early?

It should go well.
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:13
English to Spanish
Teminology Jul 29, 2007

Search sample documents and similar cases in the Web for specific terminology. You will have the upper hand if you know it beforehand; it will make things easier and smoother for all.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2007-07-29 15:13]

[Edited at 2007-07-29 15:13]

praviles
praviles
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the advice. Jul 30, 2007

Thank you Henry and Luisa for the advice. I'll be sure to keep those in mind.

Re: sample documents on the Web. I have been searching and have not had any luck. Would you recommend a website where I could find sample documents?

Again, thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First time doing court interpreting. Custody Review case. Help!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »