Interpreters in Iraq - proof that the $10,000 enlistment bonus is not worth it (CNN article)
Thread poster: Mary Stefan

Mary Stefan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:38
Member (2006)
Romanian to English
+ ...
Aug 10, 2007

Hi all,

Here is another proof that the $10,000 enlistment bonus offered by the Army (and not only) is not worth it:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/08/09/iraqi.interpreters/index.html

Regards,
Mary

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-08-11 06:21]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jonathan Sanders  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:38
Incredible Aug 11, 2007

Gives new meaning to the phrase "I wouldn't be caught dead in Irak".

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 21:38
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
I do not want to involve into politics Aug 12, 2007

But I think that people have conscience that wakes up even unintentiously - for those who work for occupants of his/her own country. Should be a bad feeling to feel oneself a traitor, and, at least, to be treated by the locals as such...

xxxdikran d  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 21:38
French to Turkish
+ ...
Politics? Aug 12, 2007

Hi,

I have certainly my own opinion on this issue but that thread looks like a violation of the rule 1.3 of forum rules for posting.

Cheers

Dikran

Mary Stefan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:38
Member (2006)
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did not intend to discuss politics! Aug 13, 2007

Politics is like raising kids: there are always tons of opinions.
I had no intention of opening a discussion: it was purely informative! It does concern interpreters as not all of them sit around a table dressed in a Brooks Brothers suit.

Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreters in Iraq - proof that the $10,000 enlistment bonus is not worth it (CNN article)

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search