https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/81040-interpreters_in_iraq_proof_that_the_%2410000_enlistment_bonus_is_not_worth_it_cnn_article.html

Interpreters in Iraq - proof that the $10,000 enlistment bonus is not worth it (CNN article)
Thread poster: Mary Stefan
Mary Stefan
Mary Stefan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:11
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 10, 2007

Hi all,

Here is another proof that the $10,000 enlistment bonus offered by the Army (and not only) is not worth it:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/08/09/iraqi.interpreters/index.html

Regards,
Mary

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-08-11 06:21]

Jonathan Sanders (X)
Jonathan Sanders (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
Incredible Aug 11, 2007

Gives new meaning to the phrase "I wouldn't be caught dead in Irak".

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 13:11
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
I do not want to involve into politics Aug 12, 2007

But I think that people have conscience that wakes up even unintentiously - for those who work for occupants of his/her own country. Should be a bad feeling to feel oneself a traitor, and, at least, to be treated by the locals as such...

dikran d (X)
dikran d (X)  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:11
French to Turkish
+ ...
Politics? Aug 12, 2007

Hi,

I have certainly my own opinion on this issue but that thread looks like a violation of the rule 1.3 of forum rules for posting.

Cheers

Dikran

Mary Stefan
Mary Stefan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:11
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did not intend to discuss politics! Aug 13, 2007

Politics is like raising kids: there are always tons of opinions.
I had no intention of opening a discussion: it was purely informative! It does concern interpreters as not all of them sit around a table dressed in a Brooks Brothers suit.

Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreters in Iraq - proof that the $10,000 enlistment bonus is not worth it (CNN article)

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »