Looking for a good conference interpreter program
Thread poster: alexandris
alexandris
Local time: 04:04
English to Spanish
Sep 1, 2007

Hi,
After volunteering as an interpreter on and off for a while, I started interpreting regularly just a few months ago and having found that I really enjoy it, unlike translating, I am looking for a good simultaneous interpreting program.

I currently do consecutive interpreting--because it is all the work I have found. It seems to me that with a good certification or possibly an MA in interpreting I could get better clients and get work more often.

I live in the US at the moment, (in NY) but depending on the length of the program it could be anywhere, I have citizenship from several countries so there would be few places where I would face visa problems.

My languages are English and Spanish (both A) with time I could scrounge up a C language if I absolutely had to, in French or Italian but as I currently only read those languages I would rather not.

I am finishing a PhD in Comparative Literature and really don't like the idea of spending more time in school--definitely not 2 years full time like at Monterrey.

However, the level of the certificate programs in NY seems quite suspicious. ; from the descriptions I am not certain that they would offer much that I don't already get working as an interpreter. I am looking for a middle ground; not a super-expensive two year intensive program nor a certificate that requires me to meet couple of hours after work and subjects me to basic grammar reviews and accent reduction.

So, I guess my questions are:
1. With a PhD in a semi-related field, do I need a masters in Interpreting or could I get away with a certificate program?
2. What programs do you recommend? I am looking for either 1 year or less if possible.
3. Any chance of getting serious simultaneous interpreting work Spanish/ English or English/ Spanish without an MA?... without a even a certificate?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jonathan Sanders  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:04
Several options Sep 3, 2007

First of all, I must say I envie you for having two mother tongues, that's not as common as you would think among conference intepreters. If you can develop two C-langauges you would be a good recruit for international organizations, because you would be a "double booth" interpreter.

In any case, I would suggest you do an MA or diploma program, which does not necesarially have to be expensive--education in Europe tends to be cheaper than in the States, such as the Universidad de la Laguna en the Canary Islands. If you are a European citizen, you might also consider some schools in the U.K. such as the University of Leeds. In Europe, the MA programs generally only last a year and in some cases (such as at the University of Leeds) you have the option of a Postgraduate diploma which requires conference interpreting courses, but no translation or research/linguistic courses.

In any case you should go the website http://www.aiic.net/schools. This lists all of the schools which have Spanish and English as passive and active languages and you can investigate their programs. Some schools require that you have one of the langauges of the country where the school is located in your program. (i.e. you can only study in ESIT-Sorbonne in Paris if you have French as an active or passive language), so make sure to check that out.

If you're interested in court interpreting exclusively, you might try the University of South Carolina which has a Bilingual Legal Interpreter M.A. and Certificate in Spanish/English. Supposedly, it's one of the best in the country and it is certainly the only one that offers an MA in court interpreting.

If however, you develop the skills on your own and you pass a state or federal certification exam, you can begin working without a degree. These exams, however, are extremely difficult with a very low passing rate so any training you can get is very beneficial.

Well, I hope that gives you some ideas.

Take care,
Jonathan

alexandris
Local time: 04:04
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
looking for a good conference interpretr program Sep 3, 2007

---thanks for the information Jonathan. I'm going to look into the programs you mention in Europe. I was hoping against hope there was some certificate program I could complete over the summer months... (perhaps two summers) but I am beginning to think this isn't the case.

If you can develop two C-langauges you would be a good recruit for international organizations, because you would be a "double booth" interpreter.
----This is good to know-- I never realized C languages were that helpful;

In any case, I would suggest you do an MA or diploma program, which does not necesarially have to be expensive--education in Europe tends to be cheaper than in the States, such as the Universidad de la Laguna en the Canary Islands. If you are a European citizen, you might also consider some schools in the U.K. such as the University of Leeds. In Europe, the MA programs generally only last a year and in some cases (such as at the University of Leeds) you have the option of a Postgraduate diploma which requires conference interpreting courses, but no translation or research/linguistic courses.
I am an eu citizen among others. I'm going to look into the Leeds program.

In any case you should go the website http://www.aiic.net/schools. This lists all of the schools which have Spanish and English as passive and active languages and you can investigate their programs. Some schools require that you have one of the langauges of the country where the school is located in your program. (i.e. you can only study in ESIT-Sorbonne in Paris if you have French as an active or passive language), so make sure to check that out.
I was looking at ISTI in Brussels I noticed their courses (rather logically) were mostly in French-- if I go this route I will have to learn to understand aurally what i can only read at the moment.

If you're interested in court interpreting exclusively, you might try the University of South Carolina which has a Bilingual Legal Interpreter M.A. and Certificate in Spanish/English. Supposedly, it's one of the best in the country and it is certainly the only one that offers an MA in court interpreting.
-----I've seen this but I am trying to find a way to broaden my scope beyond court interpreting (right now interpret for immigration cases) as I'd like something that allows me the possiblity to live outside of the us.

If however, you develop the skills on your own and you pass a state or federal certification exam, you can begin working without a degree. These exams, however, are extremely difficult with a very low passing rate so any training you can get is very beneficial.

----So I've heard. I

Well, I hope that gives you some ideas.

Take care,
Jonathan
[/quote]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a good conference interpreter program

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search