Is it important for interpreter to have a contract with a comp. providing work?
Thread poster: sandymay
sandymay
sandymay
Local time: 05:48
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Sep 3, 2007

Hello,

I wanted to find out, if it is important for an interpreter who is working for a particular company(had only a few assignements with them so far) to have an agreement/contract?
I am aware that some companies/agencies provide you with their companies ID and you do normally sign a contract with them, but others dont... In my case, is not having a contract with them and not being offered it so far, a bit dodgy or should i not worry about that?

Thanks.
... See more
Hello,

I wanted to find out, if it is important for an interpreter who is working for a particular company(had only a few assignements with them so far) to have an agreement/contract?
I am aware that some companies/agencies provide you with their companies ID and you do normally sign a contract with them, but others dont... In my case, is not having a contract with them and not being offered it so far, a bit dodgy or should i not worry about that?

Thanks.

[Edited at 2007-09-03 15:12]
Collapse

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Contract with trans/int. company Sep 3, 2007

Basically, yes. I have contracts with all my direct employers.
It is professional to have one on both sides to "prove" an interpreter's credentials.

Liz Askew

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Contract with trans/int. company Sep 3, 2007

I should have said that a contract is important also from the monetary point of view as this states your hourly/daily rate, travel expenses, travel time allowances etc.

Liz

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:48
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
It depends Sep 3, 2007

Hi,

It depends who is said client how reliable are they etc.
Bu nowadays all of the reliable, organized, professional clients have set up a system to produce a contract, a purchase order, file sharing /delivery, report and/or invoice delivery system.

Even very small companies have POs and contracts.
But If it was me, I would not see the contract or PO as a preset rule/condition before I started.
(especially clients that I have already good experience
... See more
Hi,

It depends who is said client how reliable are they etc.
Bu nowadays all of the reliable, organized, professional clients have set up a system to produce a contract, a purchase order, file sharing /delivery, report and/or invoice delivery system.

Even very small companies have POs and contracts.
But If it was me, I would not see the contract or PO as a preset rule/condition before I started.
(especially clients that I have already good experience for long time).
I also see him signing a nondisclosure agreement or business relation agreemnt with me, may also be understood that he is willing to come back more often.

I hope it happens so...

Good luck!
Collapse

Horizon_LM
Horizon_LM  Identity Verified
French to Chinese
+ ...
I agree with Nizamettin Sep 4, 2007

It depends.

In France, when I work with big firms, there is always a contract signed before the mission, defining the conditions of work, price, reimbursement and payment delay.

But for the small firms, small missions, it can be just a confirmation by mail, even just a oral agreement by phone.

I think for big missions, it’s quite necessary to have a detailed contract.

Horizon

[Modifié le 2007-09-04 02:21]

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:48
Russian to English
+ ...
What's your working relationship? Sep 4, 2007

sandymay wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

[Edited at 2007-09-03 15:12]

This is to some extent an issue of trust. If you don't have a contract with them, you're trusting them
a) to pay you
b) not to reduce your invoice because they decided to reduce the rate you're being paid
c) not to deny that they ever contracted with you when you submit your invoice.

They're also trusting you
a) to show up at the right time and the right place
b) not to jack up your rate.

If you've done several interpreting assignments for them and feel that you and they aren't likely to disagree about what it was you agreed to, that's great. However, if you haven't worked for them before, you may be more hesitant about trusting them.

You don't need to wait for them to offer a contract. It's quite okay to ask for one. If a company says that it's not their policy to provide one and refuses to do so, that should be considered a red flag.

sandymay
sandymay
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Sep 4, 2007

Thanks for your help...
I am really just starting to get into actual real life interpreting and theses things(like agreements between yourself and work provider) are still all new to me. If I take up any more work from them, i think i will ask for a contract(just to be on a safe side), but as it is at the momet, i do not have a chance to do much for them. (and with regards to the payment, they were ok- although i had to phone up and enquire about it nearly couple of months after the date
... See more
Thanks for your help...
I am really just starting to get into actual real life interpreting and theses things(like agreements between yourself and work provider) are still all new to me. If I take up any more work from them, i think i will ask for a contract(just to be on a safe side), but as it is at the momet, i do not have a chance to do much for them. (and with regards to the payment, they were ok- although i had to phone up and enquire about it nearly couple of months after the date of an assignement)

But your answers are much appreciated, and it is always nice to know there are people who are always willing to help when an advise is needed.

Best wishes to you all.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it important for interpreter to have a contract with a comp. providing work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »