Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:38
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 15, 2007

Hello,

in the past couple of weeks I've had several phonecalls and e-mails from companies asking me to work as an interpreter on the phone.

Mostly this is for customer service, the idea is to interpret between a customer and a service/sales person. Help desk, for example. They offer a script and online access to their manuals.

They also say I can do this in my own office hours and I can be as flexible and free as I want to.

Now I'm not an inte
... See more
Hello,

in the past couple of weeks I've had several phonecalls and e-mails from companies asking me to work as an interpreter on the phone.

Mostly this is for customer service, the idea is to interpret between a customer and a service/sales person. Help desk, for example. They offer a script and online access to their manuals.

They also say I can do this in my own office hours and I can be as flexible and free as I want to.

Now I'm not an interpreter, so I'm not sure why they contact me in the first place. Makes me wonder if there's anyone here who has done this kind of thing and would like to share their experiences?

Another aspect is, they're mostly companies from Asian countries. Is this just a way to reduce the costs of customer service? Does it work?

Any advice most welcome!

TIA,
Margreet
Collapse

Hélène Treloar
Hélène Treloar  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:38
French to English
+ ...
Phone interpretation Oct 15, 2007

I do phone interpretation for 2 American companies French/English.
Some of their clients can be hospitals, government and some customer service, very varied topics.
I just log-in by phoning in when I am available. It's enjoyable,
I now do it almost full time
Hélène Treloar

Atena Hensch
Atena Hensch  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 17:38
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
telephone interpreting Oct 16, 2007

I love telephone interpreting. I do both telephone interpreting and on-site interpreting and I really love it. I do legal and medical (telephone) interpreting and I believe that it is more fun than the translation. Sometime, I feel board with my translation. I hear so many interesting cases in the interpreting sessions and always make me think that my life could be very boring without interpreting. It's amazing sometimes I hear stories that it goes to the newspaper a day after and so on. I would... See more
I love telephone interpreting. I do both telephone interpreting and on-site interpreting and I really love it. I do legal and medical (telephone) interpreting and I believe that it is more fun than the translation. Sometime, I feel board with my translation. I hear so many interesting cases in the interpreting sessions and always make me think that my life could be very boring without interpreting. It's amazing sometimes I hear stories that it goes to the newspaper a day after and so on. I would say if you love adventure, go for it.

cheers
Atena
Collapse

Elvana Moore
Elvana Moore
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:38
English to Albanian
+ ...
Telephonic interpreting Oct 16, 2007

I work as a telephonic interpreter everyday. It is quite a challenge at first, but then once you have got the hang of it is nice. I do not work with a script and I can only presume that it will be easier with one.
Over the time that I have worked as a telephonic interpreter, I have collected a lot of the documents, manuals and forms that the companies I interpret for use. I have also build a glossary of most used terms, and I keep them handy- in case I need to use them when on the phone.
... See more
I work as a telephonic interpreter everyday. It is quite a challenge at first, but then once you have got the hang of it is nice. I do not work with a script and I can only presume that it will be easier with one.
Over the time that I have worked as a telephonic interpreter, I have collected a lot of the documents, manuals and forms that the companies I interpret for use. I have also build a glossary of most used terms, and I keep them handy- in case I need to use them when on the phone. There are tranining materials which can really help you master the art of controlling both parties on the phone - as it is normal for people to talk over each-other. And last but not least, make sure you know how to define the alphabet in all the languages you interpret: (A - for Alpha, B- for Bravo, C for Charlie etc). You will be surprised to see how often you will need to spell out names and addresses to both parties.
Collapse

italia
italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
WOW! Oct 16, 2007

Elvana Moore wrote:

Over the time that I have worked as a telephonic interpreter, I have collected a lot of the documents, manuals and forms that the companies I interpret for use. I have also build a glossary of most used terms, and I keep them handy- in case I need to use them when on the phone. There are tranining materials which can really help you master the art of controlling both parties on the phone - as it is normal for people to talk over each-other. And last but not least, make sure you know how to define the alphabet in all the languages you interpret: (A - for Alpha, B- for Bravo, C for Charlie etc). You will be surprised to see how often you will need to spell out names and addresses to both parties.

Elvana,
Must be really interesting:)))
I would also love to really get into telephone interpreting and was wondering if you could give me any tips on how to offer your services:
How did you manage to do it on a regular base? Who are the companies you mainly work for? Are they from the Public Service Sector, i.e. Authorities, Police etc???
MTIA for getting back on my questions.
BW

[Edited at 2007-10-16 10:27]

Hélène Treloar
French to English
+ ...
Getting paid by a foreign company Oct 18, 2007

Be very carefull in choosing who you work for, I work for two U.S. companies and one is as regular as clockwork.
The other as not paid my invoices for June, July, August and September (if permitted in this forum, I would love to give the name of the company, so, that it doesn't happen to someone else, they owe me $3,000 +USD and are one of the largets companies)
I have written to just about everyone in the company including customer relation and the controller and all I get is we are
... See more
Be very carefull in choosing who you work for, I work for two U.S. companies and one is as regular as clockwork.
The other as not paid my invoices for June, July, August and September (if permitted in this forum, I would love to give the name of the company, so, that it doesn't happen to someone else, they owe me $3,000 +USD and are one of the largets companies)
I have written to just about everyone in the company including customer relation and the controller and all I get is we are trying.
Any suggestions?
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Blue Board is the right place Oct 18, 2007

helene123 wrote:

...if permitted in this forum, I would love to give the name of the company, so, that it doesn't happen to someone else, they owe me $3,000 +USD and are one of the largets companies)

Hi helene123,
You can't discuss a specific outsourcer on a discussion forum, but you can share your experience on the Blue Board which exists just for this purpose.

Best,
Magda

Hélène Treloar
French to English
+ ...
Thank you Oct 18, 2007

I did just that, I have learned through ProZ, I wish I knew about your service before............

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 18, 2007

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

For now, I've decided not to do it. I'll concentrate on translating for the time being. I may take up interpreting some time in the future though, you all seem to enjoy it!
I'm not confident enough about my fluency and vocabulary, so I'll be working on that.

Helene123, sorry to hear about your bad experience. I hope it will all be sorted out soon.
Atena, Elvana: thanks for sharing your enthusiasm. I'll keep your t
... See more
Thank you all for your comments and advice.

For now, I've decided not to do it. I'll concentrate on translating for the time being. I may take up interpreting some time in the future though, you all seem to enjoy it!
I'm not confident enough about my fluency and vocabulary, so I'll be working on that.

Helene123, sorry to hear about your bad experience. I hope it will all be sorted out soon.
Atena, Elvana: thanks for sharing your enthusiasm. I'll keep your tips and advice in mind.

Good luck, thanks, and all the best,

Margreet
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting phonecalls - scripted - customer service

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »