Situation related interpreting
Thread poster: wonita (X)

wonita (X)
China
Local time: 01:26
Dec 14, 2007

When somebody sneezes at the table, a German would say: "Gesundheit!", which means "health" in English, whilst a Brit would say: "bless you!". And a Chinese would just keep silent, as if nothing happened. Quite often, people from different cultures react differently to a certain situation. When I am asked again in one of many such situations:" How to say 'Bless you' in Chinese?" I know there would be a lang explanation of the cultural difference after making a literal translation of the few words .

Just want to share.

Thanks for reading and have a nice weekend!
Bin

[Edited at 2007-12-14 20:57]

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 00:26
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
You'd better hope Elaine Bennis wasn't around ;-) Dec 14, 2007

Imagine having to explain the "You're so good-looking" episode of Seinfeld.icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

You too, have a nice weekend!

Nancy

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
I missed this one Jan 18, 2008

I used to work in a convention bureau -- went the whole works. Came up from the information desk to registration, did time in the secretariat, up to translation and congress pre-publishing, and finally left for abroad as part of my interpretation training.

Do you know that the longer a Japanese delegate keeps quiet in front of a microphone during an open forum, the more important he is?

When we published the proceedings, we had to delete all that protocolary silence. There was a whole lot of that at the OECD...

[Edited at 2008-01-18 01:52]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Situation related interpreting

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search