Situation related interpreting
Thread poster: wonita (X)
wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 09:01
Dec 14, 2007

When somebody sneezes at the table, a German would say: "Gesundheit!", which means "health" in English, whilst a Brit would say: "bless you!". And a Chinese would just keep silent, as if nothing happened. Quite often, people from different cultures react differently to a certain situation. When I am asked again in one of many such situations:" How to say 'Bless you' in Chinese?" I know there would be a lang explanation of the cultural difference after making a literal translation of the few word... See more
When somebody sneezes at the table, a German would say: "Gesundheit!", which means "health" in English, whilst a Brit would say: "bless you!". And a Chinese would just keep silent, as if nothing happened. Quite often, people from different cultures react differently to a certain situation. When I am asked again in one of many such situations:" How to say 'Bless you' in Chinese?" I know there would be a lang explanation of the cultural difference after making a literal translation of the few words .

Just want to share.

Thanks for reading and have a nice weekend!
Bin

[Edited at 2007-12-14 20:57]
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 09:01
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
You'd better hope Elaine Bennis wasn't around ;-) Dec 14, 2007

Imagine having to explain the "You're so good-looking" episode of Seinfeld.

You too, have a nice weekend!

Nancy

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
I missed this one Jan 18, 2008

I used to work in a convention bureau -- went the whole works. Came up from the information desk to registration, did time in the secretariat, up to translation and congress pre-publishing, and finally left for abroad as part of my interpretation training.

Do you know that the longer a Japanese delegate keeps quiet in front of a microphone during an open forum, the more important he is?

When we published the proceedings, we had to delete all that protocolary silence. Th
... See more
I used to work in a convention bureau -- went the whole works. Came up from the information desk to registration, did time in the secretariat, up to translation and congress pre-publishing, and finally left for abroad as part of my interpretation training.

Do you know that the longer a Japanese delegate keeps quiet in front of a microphone during an open forum, the more important he is?

When we published the proceedings, we had to delete all that protocolary silence. There was a whole lot of that at the OECD...

[Edited at 2008-01-18 01:52]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Situation related interpreting

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »