Enrica Brancaleoni
Enrica Brancaleoni  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:31
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 28, 2007

Hello
I'm a would-be interpreter and I quoted for an interpreting job to be done in my home town.
When I quoted I said that I have no experience and the outsourcer told me to send my CV and phone number so that they would call me "right after Christmas and St Stefano" (26th December).
I haven't received any call yet (today it's 28th December) and I don't know whether I should email them again to make sure they received my CV and phone number or just wait and hope for the best.
... See more
Hello
I'm a would-be interpreter and I quoted for an interpreting job to be done in my home town.
When I quoted I said that I have no experience and the outsourcer told me to send my CV and phone number so that they would call me "right after Christmas and St Stefano" (26th December).
I haven't received any call yet (today it's 28th December) and I don't know whether I should email them again to make sure they received my CV and phone number or just wait and hope for the best. The point is: I don't want to sound pedant yet if I had to lose my first job opportunity for some email problem it'd freak me out!!
Any suggestion?
Thanks a lot for your help
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Call them Dec 28, 2007

Call them and ask if they received your details.
If not, offer to send them again and ask for confirmation of receipt.

If they have received your details, thank them for their time and effort in checking this, say you look forward to working with them and leave it at that.

No need to be pedant, just do this in a polite, businesslike way and keep it short. Be a professional, not a beggar.

I lost a good customer because of e-mail problems over a year ag
... See more
Call them and ask if they received your details.
If not, offer to send them again and ask for confirmation of receipt.

If they have received your details, thank them for their time and effort in checking this, say you look forward to working with them and leave it at that.

No need to be pedant, just do this in a polite, businesslike way and keep it short. Be a professional, not a beggar.

I lost a good customer because of e-mail problems over a year ago, and I still cringe when I think about how much could have been saved by making a simple phone call.

Good luck!
Collapse

Margherita Zappatore
Margherita Zappatore  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
yes! Dec 28, 2007

Margareet has reason...call them!

A same situation is happened to me some days ago...I sent to a potential client a sample of editing (asked to me), I was sure that it was all OK but I have had any answer from this client. So yesterday, I wrote again asking if the file was well arrived or not and she answers me that any mail with any file was arrived on her account...so I resend it immediately and now it is all OK...that means, she has received it but I don't know at yet if she agre
... See more
Margareet has reason...call them!

A same situation is happened to me some days ago...I sent to a potential client a sample of editing (asked to me), I was sure that it was all OK but I have had any answer from this client. So yesterday, I wrote again asking if the file was well arrived or not and she answers me that any mail with any file was arrived on her account...so I resend it immediately and now it is all OK...that means, she has received it but I don't know at yet if she agrees or not my job ...I cross my finger for me and you Enrica.

Good luck!
Have a nice day,
Marghe
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
Take the bull by the horns Dec 28, 2007

Think about it: you could have already had the answer in the time it took you to post this question.

Pick up the phone and the worst they can say is they found someone more qualified for the job. As a newbie, bite your tongue and fight the urge to sarcastically say "well, thanks for letting me know", and rather say "I'm glad you came right. Please keep me in mind for future assignments". Keep it short and sweet as Margreet has suggested.

Unfortunately, some people just
... See more
Think about it: you could have already had the answer in the time it took you to post this question.

Pick up the phone and the worst they can say is they found someone more qualified for the job. As a newbie, bite your tongue and fight the urge to sarcastically say "well, thanks for letting me know", and rather say "I'm glad you came right. Please keep me in mind for future assignments". Keep it short and sweet as Margreet has suggested.

Unfortunately, some people just don't have the good manners to come back and let you know, but if you don't ask you'll never know. No use asking us really, is it? Just do it.

Good luck, hope it was just an email glitch.
D

[Edited at 2007-12-28 14:16]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
For the next time, anyway Dec 28, 2007

call in as early as possible and say you have to organize your calendar due to demand. Even if this is not immediately true, it's the professional thing to do (what if someone else had asked you?)

FIFO, nothing personal. They virtually indicated they were interested in priority.

Enrica Brancaleoni
Enrica Brancaleoni  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks problem solved Dec 28, 2007

Thanks a lot to everybody

I followed your advise and I called the outsoucer. They actually hadn't received my email so I've resent it and now everything is set. I got my first interpreting job!
musona_80, i'm crossing my fingers for you. Hope it'll turn out you too got the job

Thanks again Enrica

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Congratulations! Dec 28, 2007

Good luck!

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:31
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely Dec 28, 2007

Parrot wrote:

call in as early as possible and say you have to organize your calendar due to demand.

I use this one whenever my client is hemming and hawing, or can't make a decision about something. It's polite, to the point and still leaves you open.

Margherita Zappatore
Margherita Zappatore  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks a lot Dec 29, 2007

Enrica...unfortunely I should to wait the first days of 2008 to know something about the job...I will let you know!

Anyway, I'm very happy for you!
Good luck!

Happy New Year!!!

Marghe

Enrica Brancaleoni wrote:

musona_80, i'm crossing my fingers for you. Hope it'll turn out you too got the job

Thanks again Enrica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

relation with the outsourcer

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »