Off topic: BBC R4 Learning Curve
Thread poster: Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:23
German to English
Feb 4, 2008

A sketchy and slightly Eurocentric piece tonight about the dearth of interpreters coming through the ranks in the UK; apparently you're all reaching retirement age (not that I believe it personally) so how on earth will all the lifecoaches, media analysts and financial advisers communicate in future, poor loves..?

Happy listening at... See more
A sketchy and slightly Eurocentric piece tonight about the dearth of interpreters coming through the ranks in the UK; apparently you're all reaching retirement age (not that I believe it personally) so how on earth will all the lifecoaches, media analysts and financial advisers communicate in future, poor loves..?

Happy listening at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?/radio4/learningcurve

DB
Collapse

festinalente
festinalente  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:23
English to Korean
+ ...
Interesting Feb 5, 2008

Thank you for posting!

It was very interesting. Even in Korea, language-related majors are not popular with young students since there's no guarantee they all end up landing a good-pay job. Employers prefer finance or business related majors to English or other sort of language counterparts.

Mihailolja
Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:23
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Looks interesting... Feb 5, 2008

thanks for the link Daniel.

Regards

Mihailo

Sally Winch
Sally Winch  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:23
Italian to English
+ ...
Lack of communication between the UK and linguists based abroad. Feb 5, 2008

I moved to Italy after being labelled 'unemployable' at the careers fair at my UK uni in the late 80s - despite having a 2-1 Hons degree in Italian with French with a distinction in spoken language and 2 years experience of working with major multinationals in Italy - and found a fertile world for translation and interpreting. When I moved back to the UK 6 years later it was to a world unaware of the thriving language businesses abroad. I have written to the programme makers and suggested they... See more
I moved to Italy after being labelled 'unemployable' at the careers fair at my UK uni in the late 80s - despite having a 2-1 Hons degree in Italian with French with a distinction in spoken language and 2 years experience of working with major multinationals in Italy - and found a fertile world for translation and interpreting. When I moved back to the UK 6 years later it was to a world unaware of the thriving language businesses abroad. I have written to the programme makers and suggested they contact some of the UK language associations and check out the real numbers of English linguists living and working abroad having come to the profession at a later stage, and also suggested they look at the training courses available outside the UK. I would imagine they could recruit many skilled linguistfrom abroad if they offered them attractive enough packages.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BBC R4 Learning Curve

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »