https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/99875-advice_needed_international_website.html

Advice Needed: International Website
Thread poster: Scarlett Orork
Scarlett Orork
Scarlett Orork
United States
Local time: 02:19
Japanese to English
Mar 17, 2008

Can anyone direct me in the right direction? I live and interpret Japanese in tiny, little Wilmington, North Carolina. My Japanese is so-so, but I can converse enough to be a tour guide or help with relocation. With a lot of help from my friends, I have a website set up (www.afriendinamerica.com) but I have not the first clue how to get the information about my service across the Pacific and into Japa... See more
Can anyone direct me in the right direction? I live and interpret Japanese in tiny, little Wilmington, North Carolina. My Japanese is so-so, but I can converse enough to be a tour guide or help with relocation. With a lot of help from my friends, I have a website set up (www.afriendinamerica.com) but I have not the first clue how to get the information about my service across the Pacific and into Japan. I would like to reach Japanese travelers (business or vacation) who are coming to NC before they actually get here! Should I go through a Japanese travel agency? I would gladly pay someone to take this project, because it has me very frustrated!
Scarlett O'Brien
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:19
English to French
+ ...
friendly advice Mar 17, 2008

I just had a look at your website and you should ask yours friends to check their coding, there are some unwanted characters at the top of the page, the picture does not load wahn I look at it with Mozilla Firefox.

Please don't underestimate you by saying that your Japanese knowledge is not god enough. What message does it convey ? Would you hire a plumber/mechanic who says "I am not very confident with my skills but never mind, I can help you " ?

If you market your s
... See more
I just had a look at your website and you should ask yours friends to check their coding, there are some unwanted characters at the top of the page, the picture does not load wahn I look at it with Mozilla Firefox.

Please don't underestimate you by saying that your Japanese knowledge is not god enough. What message does it convey ? Would you hire a plumber/mechanic who says "I am not very confident with my skills but never mind, I can help you " ?

If you market your services as a travel/tourist interpreter, nobody should expect you to be fully bilingual.
I would insist on you knowledge of your own country : you know the places to visit - maybe you could put some picture or a link to a local website if there are some culture/nature/museum attraction in your area.

Before having your website translated into Japanes, consider advertising your services with people working locally in the tourist industry, like tour operators in your area, local hotels and restaurants, tourist agencies, bus or car hiring services. You will need a business card in English and Japanese.

Good luck !
Collapse

Scarlett Orork
Scarlett Orork
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Honesty is Lovely Mar 17, 2008

Merci beaucoup monsieur, vous etes mon ami, n'est-ce pas! Je fait que votre disez.
Thank you for your honesty. I will work on it. I just wish I understood computers as much as I do Japanese.
Once I get the site into a better form, how do I get listed on a search engine in Japan?
Que-ce que tu sais ?
Scarlett

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:19
English to French
+ ...
encore quelques conseils Mar 18, 2008

Update your ProZ profile and put a link to your website, list keywords on your profile in English and Japanese.
ProZ has a very good ranking with Google and so your profile page will be automatically well referenced too, and so your website, for free !

And don't forget to quote your website on your business cards too.

Dominique (I'm a madame, not a monsieur ;-o) )

Scarlett Orork
Scarlett Orork
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Whoops! Mar 18, 2008

You are not only generous with your advice, you are also very forgiving! I will do it. In america, there is something you say to a person who has done an outstanding job. I would like to say it to you, but please know that I realize you are female: You da man!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice Needed: International Website

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »