Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 29, 2005

Hi everyone,

I'll be travelling to Italy in a few weeks and I'm wondering if there is any prepaid sim card over there, those that you can just buy and stick in your phone, no need to register or anything.

Thanks!
Grace.

ps. Sorry my posting is not in Italian (Gianfranco moved it to this forum as there might be more chances that someone can help... but I can hardly understand any Italian!
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'll be travelling to Italy in a few weeks and I'm wondering if there is any prepaid sim card over there, those that you can just buy and stick in your phone, no need to register or anything.

Thanks!
Grace.

ps. Sorry my posting is not in Italian (Gianfranco moved it to this forum as there might be more chances that someone can help... but I can hardly understand any Italian! so pls reply in English or Spanish. THX!!)

[Edited at 2005-04-30 11:40]
Collapse

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
see this Apr 30, 2005

Hi

I found these postings which might be of help:

http://www.travelbanter.com/q-t_14300-Buying-prepaid-SIM-cards-in-Italy.html

Have a good holiday

Lucia

Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 07:26
English to Arabic
+ ...
its easy Apr 30, 2005

I was in Italy last summer and its so easy to get a sim card, just go to a Centro Tim they are everywhere, Tim is one of the main mobile telephone companies in Italy. I dont remember how much exactly they cost but its not more than 35 euro, you just have to have a passport or any kind of identification with you, thats it! enjoy your time there! where are you going exaclty ?

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS!! Apr 30, 2005

Thanks Lucia and Ziad,

There's no 'exactly' where I'm going! It'll be only for 6 days, stopping close to Firenze and driving around.

Anyway, you gave me some useful info to get an idea and I'll be able to consider if I go with the Italian TIM option or just roam.

Cheers
Grace.

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:26
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
info from TIM operator May 1, 2005

I recently called TIM with this same question on behalf of my brother, who would come over from the UK in summer, as I could not find anything on their.
Although the local TIM store here (a small place) said that a "codice fiscale" was needed, the operator was clear that a passport is sufficient.
The cost is 10 euro, which includes 5 euro worth of calls, and the number becomes active within a couple of hrs from buying/registering it.

cheers,
Roberta

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:26
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
UK mobiles may be locked May 1, 2005

Graciela,

my UK mobile would not accept Italian SIMs. When I came on holiday I used to borrow a spare mobile phone from a friend. When I moved to Italy I purchased a new phone.

Apparently most UK phones are locked from accepting Italian and probably all foreign cards, so that they can charge their extortionate roaming rates.
This lock does not appear to be applied to Italian mobiles used in the UK.

You may need to be prepared to the case that your
... See more
Graciela,

my UK mobile would not accept Italian SIMs. When I came on holiday I used to borrow a spare mobile phone from a friend. When I moved to Italy I purchased a new phone.

Apparently most UK phones are locked from accepting Italian and probably all foreign cards, so that they can charge their extortionate roaming rates.
This lock does not appear to be applied to Italian mobiles used in the UK.

You may need to be prepared to the case that your telephone may not accept local SIMs.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-05-01 10:28]
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
quad band unlocked May 1, 2005

Gianfranco Manca wrote:
Apparently most UK phones are locked from accepting Italian (foreign) cards (so that the company that sold it can cash the roaming rates) while this problem does not happen for Italian mobiles used in the UK.

Yes, I know. I have a V600 already unlocked because I can't roam in Argentina with Orange, so next time I go I'll get a sim card over there.
But I was looking into having my children's Siemens unlocked by my operator (Orange) and they said they don't do it. I've heard they eventually do it after a lot of hassle; and other operators are also very reluctant or charge a fortune to do it.
I now found a local mobiles repair shop where they unlock them (although Siemens are the most difficult ones).

a passport is sufficient.
The cost is 10 euro, which includes 5 euro worth of calls, and the number becomes active within a couple of hrs from buying/registering it.

Your option, Roberta, looks a lot better than the £49 (with only 5 euro for calls) that I found on several places on the internet...

Thanks for all the info!
Grace.

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
On-line unlocking service May 1, 2005

Gianfranco Manca wrote:
When I came on holiday I used to borrow a spare mobile phone from a friend. When I moved to Italy I purchased a new phone.

I've encountered the same issue with UK and Italian SIM cards on our Irish mobiles but found an on-line unlocking service that has proved easy and efficient (and cheaper than the service offered in stores, at least over here):
http://www.2u.co.uk/mobile-phone-handset-unlocking/
NOTE: It seemed all legal to me - if not, Moderator please do remove the link.

Graciela Carlyle wrote:
But I was looking into having my children's Siemens unlocked by my operator (...) (although Siemens are the most difficult ones).

Unfortunately it does not work for Siemens (Nokia, LG and and Samsung only) but I thought the info may come handy to someone else.

HTH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prepaid sim cards in Italy

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »