E. Montale "Non più quel tempo..."
Thread poster: Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 28, 2007

Can someone give me a flowing translation of the following stanza from E. Montales "Bassa Marea"?

This is a private request.

Non più quel tempo. Varcano ora il muro
rapidi voli obliqui, la discesa
di tutto non s'arresta e si confonde
sulla proda scoscesa anche lo scoglio
che ti portò primo sull'onde.

Does anyone know of a good EN translation of his works?

Thanks very much!

Harold

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:23
Italian to English
Translation by William Arrowsmith Feb 28, 2007

So even a clinical scientist can recognise a poetic genius!

Those days are gone. Now swift flights
slant across the wall, the plummeting
of everything goes on and on, the steep coast
swallows even the reef that first lifted you
above the waves.

http://www.tcsn.net/jackie/Archive/emontale.htm

Isn't that beautiful?

... See more
So even a clinical scientist can recognise a poetic genius!

Those days are gone. Now swift flights
slant across the wall, the plummeting
of everything goes on and on, the steep coast
swallows even the reef that first lifted you
above the waves.

http://www.tcsn.net/jackie/Archive/emontale.htm

Isn't that beautiful?

Also: http://www.oberlin.edu/ocpress/Books/Montale_Storm.htm
And: Selected Poems, trans. Jonathan Galassi, Charles Wright, & David Young (Oberlin College Press, 2004),

[Edited at 2007-02-28 23:16]

[Edited at 2007-02-28 23:18]
Collapse

Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Mar 4, 2007

Good evening, Russell!

I just wanted to get back to you to tell you how much I appreciate your response and how much I enjoyed reading the entire piece. It is indeed a beautiful piece of writing and I regret that I have only just discovered Montale's works. A most interesting writer, to say the very least.

I want you to know that I shall make quite ample use of the valuable link you provided and that you have made to me a gift of ongoing pleasure.

Thank you
... See more
Good evening, Russell!

I just wanted to get back to you to tell you how much I appreciate your response and how much I enjoyed reading the entire piece. It is indeed a beautiful piece of writing and I regret that I have only just discovered Montale's works. A most interesting writer, to say the very least.

I want you to know that I shall make quite ample use of the valuable link you provided and that you have made to me a gift of ongoing pleasure.

Thank you once again!

Harold
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:23
Italian to English
Context again May 10, 2007

Hi Harold

I missed your second post till now.
The aspect that non-Italians and 21st Century readers can easily overlook is the context in which his works were written.
It was unthinkable to oppose fascism directly so his opposition was channeled into artistic concepts and means of expression.
You really need to be au fait with the work of D'Annuncio and colleagues to appreciate the contrasting subtleties (all beyond me) but fortunately the poetry benefited from
... See more
Hi Harold

I missed your second post till now.
The aspect that non-Italians and 21st Century readers can easily overlook is the context in which his works were written.
It was unthinkable to oppose fascism directly so his opposition was channeled into artistic concepts and means of expression.
You really need to be au fait with the work of D'Annuncio and colleagues to appreciate the contrasting subtleties (all beyond me) but fortunately the poetry benefited from this focus.
Happy reading.

Russell
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

E. Montale "Non più quel tempo..."

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »