J-E and E-J Translator IM Sharing
Thread poster: Steven Batti (X)
Steven Batti (X)
Steven Batti (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:06
Japanese to English
Sep 6, 2006

When I'm doing Japanese to English translations here in the U.S., I often find myself wishing I had a few native speakers to bounce ideas off of, or to ask a fellow translator.

While Kudoz is excellent for "desperate times," some say you should avoid it, because potential customers can the questions that you ask, and that can impact their opinion of you.

I use IM programs frequently, particularly AIM and MSN.

Would any other Japanese-English or English-Japa
... See more
When I'm doing Japanese to English translations here in the U.S., I often find myself wishing I had a few native speakers to bounce ideas off of, or to ask a fellow translator.

While Kudoz is excellent for "desperate times," some say you should avoid it, because potential customers can the questions that you ask, and that can impact their opinion of you.

I use IM programs frequently, particularly AIM and MSN.

Would any other Japanese-English or English-Japanese translators be interested in sharing IM information? Then, we would have the ability to ask a fellow translator a quick question now and again.

Obviously, this would only be valuable if it weren't abused. No one wants to feel like they're being taken advantage of. It's not my intent to make this into "do my work for me." Rather, it's an opportunity to improve all of our translations by giving us an informal and non-public "sounding board" that we can access occasionally when we need help.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Steve Battisti
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

J-E and E-J Translator IM Sharing

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »