... See more
ピース・ボートというNGOはご存知ですか。

私はポースターを何度も見たことがありましたが、詳しいことは知りませんでした。

最近ピース・ボート正社員の知り合いが出来て、ピース・ボートは常にボランティア通訳スタッフを募集することを聞きました。

国際関係・開発関連の翻訳をよく承りますので、NGO関連の通訳実歴を増やすことはキャリアのためにもなると思い、調べ始めました。

「3ヶ月かけて船で地球をひとめぐりNGOフォーラムなどにおいて通訳をします」という部分は魅力的ですが、具体的な仕事の内容を読んでみますとかなりきつそうです。
仕事の内容は以下のようです( http://www.peaceboat.org/staff/tsuyaku/index.html ):

A. 講座及び会議における通訳
船内の各種講座・説明会・NGOフォーラムなどにおいて、2・3人のチームを組み、逐次または同時通訳をします。また、自分が担当する講座の前には、資料の読みこみや、スピーカーとの打ち合わせを通した基礎知識の勉強が必要となります。基本的には、通訳ミーティング又は通訳リーダーを通して依頼されます。
B. オプショナルツアーにおける通訳、リーダー補佐
寄港地でのオプショナルツアーに加わり、通訳及びツアーリーダー補佐としての仕事をします。
C. インフォーマルな集まりにおける通訳
一部の参加者と海外ゲストとのインフォーマルな集まり(食事の際など)における通訳をします。
D. 海外ゲスト・国際奨学生のお世話
日常生活のお世話やピースボートの日本人参加者との架け橋としての仕事をします。
E. 船内運営に必要な諸雑事の通訳
F. 翻訳及び資料の作成
1. ゲストスピーカーの紹介や講座の概要などの翻訳
2. 講座テーマの背景や、キーポイント、専門用語などに関する資料の作成
3. 寄港地での行動に関する情報の翻訳
4. 船内新聞の翻訳
5. 寄港地先乗りチームの補佐
6. 船内運営に必要な諸雑事の翻訳

インターネットに元乗客のブログは多いですが、翻訳者のブログは見つかりませんでした。

ピース・ボートの通訳スタッフをなさった方はいらっしゃいませんか。仕事の条件等について、意見を聞かせてください。
(PMでもかまいません)

どうぞ宜しくお願い致します。

ウダ

http://geraldineoudin.com
http://traduction.artblog.fr

[Modifié le 2009-10-29 16:38 GMT]
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:44
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A few things Oct 29, 2009

Hi Geraldine,
I know you are looking for people with actual experience, and I don't have it.
However, two of my friends were involved with Peace Boat some time ago (come to think of it, it would be about 10 years ago... wow, time flies), and they actually went on a trip. They were not volunteer translators, but maybe they can give you a general idea about the boat and the organization.
Don't be surprised if you get a direct email on your hotmail address.

I remember
... See more
Hi Geraldine,
I know you are looking for people with actual experience, and I don't have it.
However, two of my friends were involved with Peace Boat some time ago (come to think of it, it would be about 10 years ago... wow, time flies), and they actually went on a trip. They were not volunteer translators, but maybe they can give you a general idea about the boat and the organization.
Don't be surprised if you get a direct email on your hotmail address.

I remember hearing from them that the time you spend inside the boat is awfully long compared to the brief trips that you do at the various ports. They had this feeling even though they did not do the whole around-the-World thing, just part of it. That is something to consider, depending on your personality, and how you deal with boredom and/or monotony.

I also remember comments about the level of service, in other words, this is really not a regular cruise, the whole thing is based on volunteers, not professionals. This is another thing to consider, when you think about the day to day operation, the basic services needed to handle passengers and their daily needs.

As far as I know, even if you are a volunteer, you do not get a free ride. They give discounts to people volunteering for the organization, for example you can earn points or credit by working for one of their offices for several months or years if you want, and use it for a future cruise. When I looked at the prices, they seemed high to me, even with the possible discounts.

Now, all this is based on what I heard 10 years ago, and it is more about general life on the boat. Try to get as much info as you can, decide what the pros and cons are and whether it is a good opportunity for professional development.

Katalin

[Edited at 2009-10-29 14:51 GMT]
Collapse

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Free ride Oct 29, 2009

Thanks Katalin for your input.

"Regular" passengers can get discounts by getting involved in some volunteer activities.
However, Interpreters (and teachers) do get a free ride and full board.

It seems that the lack of competent people even forces them to fly some of their staff in from Tokyo to interpret at some of the conferences (that is what was initially proposed to me, but I don't live in Tokyo at the moment)

I suppose passengers would not have
... See more
Thanks Katalin for your input.

"Regular" passengers can get discounts by getting involved in some volunteer activities.
However, Interpreters (and teachers) do get a free ride and full board.

It seems that the lack of competent people even forces them to fly some of their staff in from Tokyo to interpret at some of the conferences (that is what was initially proposed to me, but I don't live in Tokyo at the moment)

I suppose passengers would not have much to do, but considering the fact that interpreters have to work on several meetings every day including when the ship is at sea, I imagine they would be very busy. I would really like to check this with someone who has actually been on the job.

I would like to know if it can be a valuable experience from the professional point of view (I already know that a couple of days in every port is not enough for tourism, especially when you are the interpreter)...

But as I said in another thread, there are other things to consider, such as putting one's business and one's husband on hold for three month...

For now, I am more attracted by the idea of working with them once I get back to Japan in a couple of years, rather than by the idea of going on the cruise for three months. But I am just curious, and trying to get some information.

http://geraldineoudin.com
http://traduction.artblog.fr

[Modifié le 2009-10-29 16:39 GMT]
Collapse

cinefil
cinefil  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:44
Member (2005)
French to Japanese
+ ...
PEACE BOAT? gauche ou droite? Nov 4, 2009

Do you know 辻元清美?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiyomi_Tsujimoto

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course Nov 5, 2009

Of course I know her and the "debate" (I also went to Waseda).

I just wanted to hear about the working conditions for interpreters. I have been contacted privately by a couple of people and it doesn't seem very nice or rewarding.

(PS: the link you provided doesn't talk about "gauche ou droite" at all, maybe it is not the right one...)

[Modifié le 2009-11-05 03:27 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ピース・ボートのボランティア通訳スタッフ~仕事の条件等について

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »