Thread poster: Matthew Paines
Matthew Paines
Matthew Paines
Finland
Local time: 12:36
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
Apr 30, 2013

I guess 'Shin' or 'San'. But I've never seen the name 參 with 山 on top. Any ideas?

AjaniO
AjaniO  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:36
Japanese to English
Possibly "shin" Apr 30, 2013

It looks like 嵾 could be read as "shin", "san", or "son", but if I were to go with any of them...maybe "Shin"?

http://www.weblio.jp/content/嵾?dictCode=KNJJN

Matthew Paines
Matthew Paines
Finland
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Ajani Apr 30, 2013

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Verify with the client Apr 30, 2013

In such cases the best is to verify with the client, especially if it is a vital record (birth certificate or similar) where names must be correct.

Matthew Paines
Matthew Paines
Finland
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
good idea Katalin Apr 30, 2013

Of course, there is an agency sitting between me and the client. But I should get them to confirm it.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Just explain, it shouldn't be a problem Apr 30, 2013

Tell them that there are multiple readings for kanji in names, this one can be spelled as Shin, San and Son, but you cannot exclude some other unusual reading either. Client confirmation is necessary. If you have more names that you are uncertain about, list them and have them all confirmed. Old koseki entries can have old kanji with readings that are not listed in standard dictionaries.

Raitei
Raitei
Japan
Japanese to English
Don't mess with the big bad 人名 Apr 30, 2013

One of the first things I learned from Japanese staff while cutting my teeth in-house in Tokyo is to always verify the names if Google or other resources fail (despite the fact that most agencies and clients in Japan hate questions). The Japanese natives mess up on names all the time. For example, I once had to meet a client named Sakagami. Upon greeting him, however, he turned sour and said, "My name is Sakaue!" Unfortunately, the Japanese staff involved before the meeting looked at his name ... See more
One of the first things I learned from Japanese staff while cutting my teeth in-house in Tokyo is to always verify the names if Google or other resources fail (despite the fact that most agencies and clients in Japan hate questions). The Japanese natives mess up on names all the time. For example, I once had to meet a client named Sakagami. Upon greeting him, however, he turned sour and said, "My name is Sakaue!" Unfortunately, the Japanese staff involved before the meeting looked at his name and quickly romanized it without confirmation. And to think they have these 安全第一 signs all around town!

Same goes for the 地名. Once, a Japanese "elitist" told me, "In order to know the names of places in Japan, you have to be Japanese. It's in our blood." Yeah right! That why residents of some towns don't even know where they live ("machi" as opposed to "cho"). I proved this by requesting an official list of neighborhood names from city hall.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Hmmm... May 1, 2013

That why residents of some towns don't even know where they live ("machi" as opposed to "cho"). I proved this by requesting an official list of neighborhood names from city hall.

That list could have been "translated" for them by a part-time English teacher from overseas who was just learning Japanese and was asked to do a "favor" for the town...
I am not kidding. I have seen this done, when I was in Japan.

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 18:36
English to Japanese
+ ...
Ask the pm or client May 1, 2013

I cannot agree more with Katalin's suggestion. Whether or not it's a person's name or a geographical name, it's often difficult even for Japanese natives to read correctly because it can be simply varied.

Roberto Tokuda
Roberto Tokuda  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:36
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Ask pm May 2, 2013

The best way is ask your client or pm. Its a common situation even for native japanese to ask how to read unusual name or place in kanji.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese man's name: 參 with 山 kanmuri

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »