Know any word count software for Jpn>English?
Thread poster: Midori Wilson
Midori Wilson
Midori Wilson  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:28
English to Japanese
+ ...
Aug 17, 2002

Are there anybody who use any kind of wordcount software for Japanese to English translations? I\'ve been considering getting one for myself for a while. Would anybody be able to give me recommendation/advice? Thanks a lot!

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
English or Japanese? Aug 18, 2002

As always, it depends....

Some clients pay \"source\", e.g. 7 yen/source character, regardless of the output volume. Here the Word character count already does the job.

If you get paid by target word, line, page, there are several software packages on the market. PractiCount, Webbudget (www.webbudget.com), and several other applications support the billing process, curre
... See more
As always, it depends....

Some clients pay \"source\", e.g. 7 yen/source character, regardless of the output volume. Here the Word character count already does the job.

If you get paid by target word, line, page, there are several software packages on the market. PractiCount, Webbudget (www.webbudget.com), and several other applications support the billing process, currency conversion, etc. as well.

HTH
Collapse

Midori Wilson
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vielen Dank Aug 18, 2002

Vielen Dank fur Deinen Rat. Yes, every little bit of comments help. Well, the reason I asked is that I recently downloaded a demo version of PractiCount, and the result of character count was almost double of what I came up with on Word wordcount. And I couldn\'t figure out why. Anyway, thanks for your information.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:28
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Are you sure PractiCount supports Japanese? Aug 22, 2002

Midori,

For your last comment, are you sure that PractiCount has support for Japanese language counting?

The reason I am asking is that Japanese is a dual-byte character encoding language (meaning that each character is encoded by using two bytes in the computer\'s memory), and maybe Practicount simply counts the number of bytes in the text - hence the doubling of numbers.

I am not familiar with PractiCount, I just bring this up as a possibility.

Katalin

Midori Wilson
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PractiCount Aug 22, 2002

Katalin,

Thank you for your comments. I have contacted the company about the software and here is the reply.

--------------------------------------------

The current version of PractiCount

does not support double-byte languages, such as Japanese, Chinese. Though we

are planning to introduce their support in the next update we are working on

now. It should appear supposedly within a month. That will be an

intermedi
... See more
Katalin,

Thank you for your comments. I have contacted the company about the software and here is the reply.

The current version of PractiCount

does not support double-byte languages, such as Japanese, Chinese. Though we

are planning to introduce their support in the next update we are working on

now. It should appear supposedly within a month. That will be an

intermediate version (some of 1.xx) and if you purchase the program now, you

will get all intermediate versions free of charge.

So anyone who is interested in this product, you now know what to expect in the near future. Thanks again, katalin!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Know any word count software for Jpn>English?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »