Japanese/English dictionary tools
Thread poster: chigusa
chigusa
chigusa
Local time: 09:07
English to Japanese
+ ...
Jan 20, 2008

I'm looking for Japanese/English dictionary software that works in the English OS environment. Many dictionaries available in Japan require Japanese OS environment (or so they say...), and I use English Windows. If anyone here tried using dictionary software designed for Japanese OS in English OS environment and worked fine, please let me know the name of the software. Or, anybody know any Jpn/Eng dictionaries designed for English OS?

Thanks!

Xuchun
Xuchun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:07
English to Chinese
+ ...
simply change the locale setting Jan 21, 2008

HI

All you need to do is to change the locale setting in your version of Windows. Go to "Control Panel" -> "Regional and Language Options" and change the locale setting to Japanese.

After that, you can install any dictionaries designed for Japanese OS and everything will be ok.

For dictionary software, EBWin is great. But you may have to investigate on how to install and set it. Try google "EBWin".

chigusa
chigusa
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 21, 2008

Thank you Xuchun for your info. I'll try downloading EBwin first...

Yumico Tanaka (X)
Yumico Tanaka (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:07
English to Japanese
+ ...
Why not use Eijiro? Apr 5, 2008

If Eijiro 英辞郎 is not good enough, then you can search the word on the Internet and see how the word is used.
Could you please tell me how your trial with EB Win went?

Yumico from Cairns
[email protected]

chigusa
chigusa
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Eijiro Apr 7, 2008

Yumico Tanaka wrote:

If Eijiro 英辞郎 is not good enough, then you can search the word on the Internet and see how the word is used.
Could you please tell me how your trial with EB Win went?

Yumico from Cairns
[email protected]

Hi Yumico,

I do use Eijiro, but I sometimes find the definitions the online version of Eijiro give to be inaccurate, plus I can't really count on Eijiro for specialized terms.

I am in the process of acquiring more dictionary CDs to run with EB Win. I changed some setting in Windows (e.g. switching to unicode, etc...) and old CDs from Japan started to display proper fonts like a magic! I'll keep you posted...

Chigusa from still cold Canada

Ivan Klyunchev
Ivan Klyunchev
Bulgaria
Local time: 18:07
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
AppLocale Apr 8, 2008

It is not imperatively necessary to change the locale to Japanese. More important is to set the Language for non-Unicode programs to Japanese. But if you use some programs with Cyrillic letters (I use for Bulgarian and Russian), they may not show correctly the Cyrillic letters. To solve the problem, I use AppLocale (Application Locale) - free from the Microsoft site + Ebwin Unicode version, and now I can use any program with any scrpit - Latin, Cyrillic, kanji, with Bulgarian locale and Bulgaria... See more
It is not imperatively necessary to change the locale to Japanese. More important is to set the Language for non-Unicode programs to Japanese. But if you use some programs with Cyrillic letters (I use for Bulgarian and Russian), they may not show correctly the Cyrillic letters. To solve the problem, I use AppLocale (Application Locale) - free from the Microsoft site + Ebwin Unicode version, and now I can use any program with any scrpit - Latin, Cyrillic, kanji, with Bulgarian locale and Bulgarian for non-unicode programms under localised English version of Win XP Pro. Everything works fine. I use Kenkyusha E-J/J-E dictionary, Mojikyo, Eijiro + a number of Russian and Bulgarian e-dictionaries. All work without any problem.Collapse

chigusa
chigusa
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AppLocale for vista Apr 9, 2008

Thanks! Yes, that non-unicode setting was what I ended up doing and worked great. I had thought AppLocale was not compatible with Vista, which I use, but I just found this link to properly install AppLocale.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/26/workaround-to-install-microsoft-applocale-utility-in-windows-vista/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese/English dictionary tools

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »