Japanese income tax (源泉徴収) for a Canadian
Thread poster: EngJpToFr
EngJpToFr
English to French
+ ...
Jan 22, 2008

Hi, I have a question regarding withholding income tax (源泉徴収) in the case of a foreigner (Canadian) working as a freelancer abroad (not in Japan).

Some of my clients just don't deduct it, while other take 10% from the payment. I even got an email from an agency I'm registered with (never worked with them), saying that after being by briefed National Tax Agency, they made the decision to take 20% from freelancer working for them abroad.

As a Canadian taxpayer, I would also like to know how to deal with the taxes I paid to Japan. Can I simply get documents from my Japanese clients showing the taxes I paid, and submit these with my tax return to avoid double taxation?

Should someone have relevant information regarding this, I would appreciate it.

Direct link Reply with quote

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:52
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I think they are wrong Jan 22, 2008

Please see this discussion:
http://www.proz.com/topic/42424

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese income tax (源泉徴収) for a Canadian

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search