Crowdsourcing for translations: looking for a community for translation help
Thread poster: Giovanni Leopoldo Rozza (X)

Giovanni Leopoldo Rozza (X)
Local time: 06:50
Portuguese to English
Apr 2, 2008

Dudes, someone knows a site, like a forum or something like to post question about translations and then the community try to help ? I mean, some expressions that you dind´t find by regular channels ( google or online dictionaries)
Don´t need
to be online, I just will throw the question and let people that wanna help reply.

Of course, reliability won´t be as good as a online dictionary, but you can judge based on context if it matches or not.

Also I don´t pursue a site with translation to a target language (Portuguese in my case), but just a description in English what means with others words will be very helpful.

I wondered this site might be helpful, but after a closer look at it, its main purpose is about translation as a profession.

TIA anyway.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-02 10:35]

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:50
English to Turkish
+ ...
Check here: Apr 2, 2008

http://www.proz.com/kudoz

You know, it's like being stopped in the Amazons by a stranger who asks, "Hey, do you know a place somewhere around here where I can get some fresh air in the woods?"icon_biggrin.gif

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:50
English to German
+ ...
You mean, like, where the guys call each other dudes? Apr 2, 2008

icon_smile.gif

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:50
German to English
Or to be precise... Apr 2, 2008

(to add to özden's comment) You know, it's like being stopped in the Amazons by a stranger who asks, "Hey, do you know a place somewhere around here where I can get some fresh air in the woods?"

...that stranger being a character from a Douglas Coupland novel...

Sorry to butt in but this discussion could go places and I crave travel sickness.

DB

Giovanni Leopoldo Rozza (X)
Local time: 06:50
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 2, 2008

Is exactly what I was looking for, I´m user in another Portugueses Forum and I volunteer myself to translate a long article about health care (http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/30_lies.html).

So I´m doing it little by little, and my English is not super (despite I´ve lived in the German city of Greifswald around 2 years and it worked quite well thereicon_razz.gif).

Thanks Özden! Thanks very much.

Note: Yeah Nicole, soon after I realized that "Dude" is not the appropriate expression, perhaps If I was a teen would be okicon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Crowdsourcing for translations: looking for a community for translation help

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search