Can members not be given the possibility of editing wrong glossary entries?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:33
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2008

It seems to me rather impractical that clearly wrong glossary entries cannot be edited by those who notice them. Each time I try to edit such an entry I find that I can only edit the CATEGORY in which the question has been placed (Legal, General or whatever), however it is usually the TERM ITSELF I would like to edit, not the category. There is the possibility of adding a comment, or an agree or disagree, when the wrong entry is found by chance in the glossary, however there is no point in adding a comment if the wrong entry remains.

Just my opinion.

Astrid

Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:33
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Tricky Jul 11, 2008

I've thought about that too, Astrid, when I see incorrect or misspelled terms in the glossary. The only problem with having a way to edit them is: how can we be sure that the person doing the editing won't put in another wrong term, or a wrong term in place of a right one, or another misspelling? It seems very problematic to me.

Amy

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I see your point, Amy Jul 11, 2008

However, I think it can only be an improvement, since most people who want to edit a particular entry probably have the relevant experience to do so in that language pair and field. As for spelling mistakes, I do not think that a person bothering to edit a glossary entry would be careless about spelling.

Astrid

Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:33
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I hope you're right... Jul 12, 2008

...because many times I've wished I could change some glossary entry that is just glaringly wrong and it's frustrating not being able to!

Amy

jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
an idea Jul 12, 2008

Hi, Astrid,

Maybe what you can do in those cases is make what you consider a correct entry in your personal glossary.

So when someone performs a search they will see that too and possibly think twice before using the incorrect term.

I always look for entries made by my "favorite" or "most reliable" colleagues when I search for a term.

Best wishes!

icon_biggrin.gif

Lucía

Satto (Roberto)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:33
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
ARRRGG! Jul 12, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

It seems to me rather impractical that clearly wrong glossary entries cannot be edited by those who notice them. Each time I try to edit such an entry I find that I can only edit the CATEGORY in which the question has been placed (Legal, General or whatever), however it is usually the TERM ITSELF I would like to edit, not the category. There is the possibility of adding a comment, or an agree or disagree, when the wrong entry is found by chance in the glossary, however there is no point in adding a comment if the wrong entry remains.

Just my opinion.

Astrid

Don't you just hate it when you see a glossary term translated as "see below"? People just put things in the glossaries and don't even bother to see what they are doing. I guess they do it just for the kudoz points...that BTW are only good if you are a 1st subscriber.

Milena Bosco (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Twice last week... Jul 13, 2008

I had to disagree with an entry in the glossary. I am specialized in the food jargon. The first entry was about "buzzonaglia" (Italian: in the processing of tuna the leftovers of the meat), translated as "marrow". It was completely off. The moderator noticed and changed the entry after I had disagreed. The second one (not corrected yet), is about "grain mayonnaise" (mayonnaise with Dijon mustard) translated as "soy mayonnaise" in Italian.

I personally at this point do not trust the glossary at all.

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
Frustrating indeed Jul 13, 2008

Hi Astrid,

I am a great user of the KudoZ and feel exactly the same as you. If the entry is not too old, I usually contact the member who entered it and ask him/her to change it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Sometimes it works once but does not even prevent this member to repeat the same kind of mistakes in his/her following entries. Then I contact the moderator....but not always, because I feel quite bad to "annoy" people with that and to appear so fussy !

By the way there is a related thread about the subject http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/109300-enhancement_of_the_kudoz_system_by_discouraging_questions_without_context_a_proposal.html

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Moderators are the right people to approach Jul 13, 2008

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:
Then I contact the moderator....but not always, because I feel quite bad to "annoy" people with that and to appear so fussy !

But why?? Contacting the relevant moderator should be the most natural thing to do - we are there for exactly such cases. This has nothing at all to do with "annoying" people.

Steffen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can members not be given the possibility of editing wrong glossary entries?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search