Can members not be given the possibility of editing wrong glossary entries?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:26
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2008

It seems to me rather impractical that clearly wrong glossary entries cannot be edited by those who notice them. Each time I try to edit such an entry I find that I can only edit the CATEGORY in which the question has been placed (Legal, General or whatever), however it is usually the TERM ITSELF I would like to edit, not the category. There is the possibility of adding a comment, or an agree or disagree, when the wrong entry is found by chance in the glossary, however there is no point in addin... See more
It seems to me rather impractical that clearly wrong glossary entries cannot be edited by those who notice them. Each time I try to edit such an entry I find that I can only edit the CATEGORY in which the question has been placed (Legal, General or whatever), however it is usually the TERM ITSELF I would like to edit, not the category. There is the possibility of adding a comment, or an agree or disagree, when the wrong entry is found by chance in the glossary, however there is no point in adding a comment if the wrong entry remains.

Just my opinion.

Astrid
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:26
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Tricky Jul 11, 2008

I've thought about that too, Astrid, when I see incorrect or misspelled terms in the glossary. The only problem with having a way to edit them is: how can we be sure that the person doing the editing won't put in another wrong term, or a wrong term in place of a right one, or another misspelling? It seems very problematic to me.

Amy

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I see your point, Amy Jul 11, 2008

However, I think it can only be an improvement, since most people who want to edit a particular entry probably have the relevant experience to do so in that language pair and field. As for spelling mistakes, I do not think that a person bothering to edit a glossary entry would be careless about spelling.

Astrid

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:26
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I hope you're right... Jul 12, 2008

...because many times I've wished I could change some glossary entry that is just glaringly wrong and it's frustrating not being able to!

Amy

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
an idea Jul 12, 2008

Hi, Astrid,

Maybe what you can do in those cases is make what you consider a correct entry in your personal glossary.

So when someone performs a search they will see that too and possibly think twice before using the incorrect term.

I always look for entries made by my "favorite" or "most reliable" colleagues when I search for a term.

Best wishes!

L
... See more
Hi, Astrid,

Maybe what you can do in those cases is make what you consider a correct entry in your personal glossary.

So when someone performs a search they will see that too and possibly think twice before using the incorrect term.

I always look for entries made by my "favorite" or "most reliable" colleagues when I search for a term.

Best wishes!

Lucía
Collapse

Roberto Rey
Roberto Rey  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 06:26
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
ARRRGG! Jul 12, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

It seems to me rather impractical that clearly wrong glossary entries cannot be edited by those who notice them. Each time I try to edit such an entry I find that I can only edit the CATEGORY in which the question has been placed (Legal, General or whatever), however it is usually the TERM ITSELF I would like to edit, not the category. There is the possibility of adding a comment, or an agree or disagree, when the wrong entry is found by chance in the glossary, however there is no point in adding a comment if the wrong entry remains.

Just my opinion.

Astrid

Don't you just hate it when you see a glossary term translated as "see below"? People just put things in the glossaries and don't even bother to see what they are doing. I guess they do it just for the kudoz points...that BTW are only good if you are a 1st subscriber.

Milena Bosco (X)
Milena Bosco (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Twice last week... Jul 13, 2008

I had to disagree with an entry in the glossary. I am specialized in the food jargon. The first entry was about "buzzonaglia" (Italian: in the processing of tuna the leftovers of the meat), translated as "marrow". It was completely off. The moderator noticed and changed the entry after I had disagreed. The second one (not corrected yet), is about "grain mayonnaise" (mayonnaise with Dijon mustard) translated as "soy mayonnaise" in Italian.

I personally at this point do not trust the
... See more
I had to disagree with an entry in the glossary. I am specialized in the food jargon. The first entry was about "buzzonaglia" (Italian: in the processing of tuna the leftovers of the meat), translated as "marrow". It was completely off. The moderator noticed and changed the entry after I had disagreed. The second one (not corrected yet), is about "grain mayonnaise" (mayonnaise with Dijon mustard) translated as "soy mayonnaise" in Italian.

I personally at this point do not trust the glossary at all.
Collapse

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Frustrating indeed Jul 13, 2008

Hi Astrid,

I am a great user of the KudoZ and feel exactly the same as you. If the entry is not too old, I usually contact the member who entered it and ask him/her to change it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Sometimes it works once but does not even prevent this member to repeat the same kind of mistakes in his/her following entries. Then I contact the moderator....but not always, because I feel quite bad to "annoy" people with that and to appear so fussy !

By the
... See more
Hi Astrid,

I am a great user of the KudoZ and feel exactly the same as you. If the entry is not too old, I usually contact the member who entered it and ask him/her to change it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Sometimes it works once but does not even prevent this member to repeat the same kind of mistakes in his/her following entries. Then I contact the moderator....but not always, because I feel quite bad to "annoy" people with that and to appear so fussy !

By the way there is a related thread about the subject http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/109300-enhancement_of_the_kudoz_system_by_discouraging_questions_without_context_a_proposal.html
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Moderators are the right people to approach Jul 13, 2008

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:
Then I contact the moderator....but not always, because I feel quite bad to "annoy" people with that and to appear so fussy !

But why?? Contacting the relevant moderator should be the most natural thing to do - we are there for exactly such cases. This has nothing at all to do with "annoying" people.

Steffen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can members not be given the possibility of editing wrong glossary entries?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »