Why are retrograde questions without answers counted as "open questions"?
Thread poster: Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:39
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Aug 8, 2008

It happened to me to notice, passing with the mouse on an asker's name, that there were apparently let's say 65, or 90, or 128 open questions. In these cases, normally I refrain from answering straightaway but some times send an asker note and in many cases those people don't know what hit them. Which is quite normal as they have closed all their questions that got an answer but left "open" those without any answer - and I felt not quite comfortable with this situation. On the other hand, one ca... See more
It happened to me to notice, passing with the mouse on an asker's name, that there were apparently let's say 65, or 90, or 128 open questions. In these cases, normally I refrain from answering straightaway but some times send an asker note and in many cases those people don't know what hit them. Which is quite normal as they have closed all their questions that got an answer but left "open" those without any answer - and I felt not quite comfortable with this situation. On the other hand, one cannot check one by one which questions are still open before enquiring with an asker...

I know that those questions stay open for ever and everyone can answer them at any time, even after years. But wouldn't it be better not to count them as "open" questions - at least after a certain lapse of time - in order to not to mislead other people concerning the number of "real" open questions or otherwise just forcing those answerers to close them definitively?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why are retrograde questions without answers counted as "open questions"?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »