Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 18:17
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
No good idea Sep 15, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

When someone pushes the CONTEXT button, a clock starts. If the asker fails to provide more context within X amount of time, ZAP!!! the question disappears.

How about that?

This goes too far and is not a good idea.

Instead, in the question input form, there should be a warning in big bold letters: WITHOUT SUFFICIENT CONTEXT YOU CAN'T EXPECT ANY USEFUL HELP!

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Great Idea! Sep 15, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

When someone pushes the CONTEXT button, a clock starts. If the asker fails to provide more context within X amount of time, ZAP!!! the question disappears.

How about that?

That's the next best thing to people simply not anwering that kind of question...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I like this one... Sep 15, 2008

Rolf Kern wrote:

... in the question input form, there should be a warning in big bold letters: WITHOUT SUFFICIENT CONTEXT YOU CAN'T EXPECT ANY USEFUL HELP!

Now that IS a suggestion worth considering

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:17
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
There are lots of one-click solutions Sep 15, 2008

If you don't want to spend time helping the asker in the way Nicole does:

Nicole Schnell wrote:
I prefer to ask specifically for readership, type and purpose of the document, and such.

Then take up her other solution:

If I don't feel like asking for context, I ignore the question because I usually have other things to do.

There are many one-click options available to leave that screen and go somewhere else you'd rather be

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I do spend time answering, anyway Sep 16, 2008

... but I would like a quicker way to require context. That's all.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I fire off a suggestion with a confidence level of 2 Sep 16, 2008

I monitor KudoZ in my pairs - in theory just to make sure everyone is behaving, which, luckily they usually are. As my little brother once said: I always behave, but sometimes badly...

Now and then I see a question and an answer just springs to mind.
Occasionally I fire it off with an explanation of how my grasshopper mind leapt to that conclusion, setting the confidence level at 2 and a suggestion for how
... See more
I monitor KudoZ in my pairs - in theory just to make sure everyone is behaving, which, luckily they usually are. As my little brother once said: I always behave, but sometimes badly...

Now and then I see a question and an answer just springs to mind.
Occasionally I fire it off with an explanation of how my grasshopper mind leapt to that conclusion, setting the confidence level at 2 and a suggestion for how to find the real answer if they can't use mine. Humour is quite a powerful weapon in the Scandinavian cultures I work in.

I admit I'm guessing and ask for more context.
But if it is likely to take more than a few seconds, I simply click away.

I would really love to see answers to some of these questions in the glossary, so I do try to nudge askers in the right direction. It isn't always easy...

Please keep trying, folks, and thanks for showing good examples! Those make KudoZ and the glossary really useful tools, not a sheer waste of everyone's time.

Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Provide more context" button in Kudoz?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »