France
Local time: 10:25
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Hiding changes ratio answers/points Oct 16, 2008

efreitag wrote:

Luisa Ramos wrote:

I also like the capability of deleting my answer when another colleague's is simply better, or just plain right.

I've always thought this was at least objectionable, if not against kudoz rules (unless your answer is cleary way off the mark)?

Answers are valuable information for those who seek information, even if other answers seem to be better. IMO, we should not hide answers (unless they are really out of the question).

Maybe a moderator could comment on this issue?

Best regards,
Erik

I'm not in favor of the hiding feature either. One can always add a note or agree with another solution when they don't think anymore that their answer is correct. And hiding answers (and possible disagrees) would, as I understand it, change the proper answers to KudoZ points ratio (i.e. make it look more favorable for the person that hides answers).

But Tomás asked for the good features: one I particularly like is the ability to make a comment when agreeing or disagreeing with someone's answer. Lots of brainstorming going on there.

Andrea

Teresa Mozo
Teresa Mozo  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
It's always fun Oct 16, 2008

Yes, it's always so much fun! I admit it, I'm kind of addicted.

I love the research and the discussions and that you can learn a lot of knowledge and a lot of humility....

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A few likes Oct 16, 2008

* Tapping into others' know-how and expertise
* An excuse to indulge in some useful displacement activity
* "Meeting" and "getting to know" like-minded and stimulating people through their postings
* The repartee
* The numerous times that you Prozians have collectively saved my bacon
* The excellent outsourcers who I like to think have chosen me to work with them on the basis of my Kudoz activity
* And this opportunity therefore to send out a general thank yo
... See more
* Tapping into others' know-how and expertise
* An excuse to indulge in some useful displacement activity
* "Meeting" and "getting to know" like-minded and stimulating people through their postings
* The repartee
* The numerous times that you Prozians have collectively saved my bacon
* The excellent outsourcers who I like to think have chosen me to work with them on the basis of my Kudoz activity
* And this opportunity therefore to send out a general thank you - great to know you are all out there.
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 02:25
English to Spanish
The past Oct 16, 2008

To be honest, I like the way KudoZ was in the past. To me, those few features were sufficiently helpful and "usable", including the "hiding" one, which I've used some times when aware of not being accurately enough to help the asker.

In the present times, I feel confused with some new features and changes done lately, and try not to use them.

Forget about wrong answers, since the other translators take over the point with their disagrees and this is most helpful for the
... See more
To be honest, I like the way KudoZ was in the past. To me, those few features were sufficiently helpful and "usable", including the "hiding" one, which I've used some times when aware of not being accurately enough to help the asker.

In the present times, I feel confused with some new features and changes done lately, and try not to use them.

Forget about wrong answers, since the other translators take over the point with their disagrees and this is most helpful for the asker. I mean, all answers are welcome provided helpers act with good faith.

On the other hand, I even enjoy when there are answers, agrees or disagrees just for kidding with the participants. I've come to learn that most translators have a great —and extremely clever— sense of humor, which fill my day with joy.

Being things the way they're now, I don't see any need to add new features. Just leave it as it is, ¿no?
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:25
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I'm for the hiding option Oct 16, 2008

If I realize that I have entered something which other answers and references have totally convinced me is wrong, I don't see any point in leaving it, it just confuses the issue. And if I feel i have made a total idiot of myself, I don't want the fact to be on display forevermore!

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Hiding of answers Oct 16, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:

If I realize that I have entered something which other answers and references have totally convinced me is wrong, I don't see any point in leaving it, it just confuses the issue.

I disagree. Imagine someone who is reading the discussion later. He might think of using exactly the term you proposed. But alas - he can't read what convinced you that your term is wrong! As I said, answers proved wrong are a valuable information that should by no means be hidden.

Jack Doughty wrote:
And if I feel i have made a total idiot of myself, I don't want the fact to be on display forevermore!

Indeed, in those cases, I think hiding might be ok (and I've done it myself). However, Luisa said: "I also like the capability of deleting my answer when another colleague's is simply better, or just plain right", which imho is not right.

Kind regards,
Erik

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sorry for hijacking your thread, Tomás! Oct 16, 2008

I'm sorry for going off-topic and hijacking the thread. I've started a new topic on the issue of hiding anwers here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/118193-reasons_for_hiding_of_answers_also:_does_it_affect_your_answers_to_points_ratio.html

Best regards,
Erik

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am also for hiding Oct 16, 2008

efreitag wrote:
Luisa Ramos wrote:
I also like the capability of deleting my answer when another colleague's is simply better, or just plain right.

Answers are valuable information for those who seek information, even if other answers seem to be better. IMO, we should not hide answers (unless they are really out of the question).

Thanks a lot for the Erik. It is an important matter indeed. Well, if Proz consider the hidden answers as non-existant in their statistics (something I have learnt today), it's a design problem.

I am for hiding if it helps making the matter clearer and assists the asker in making a wise choice. And in a way, one answerer decides to add an answer... the same answer is entitled to take it back if it proves to be clearly misleading when new information is available about the question.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The answer is the property of the answerer.... I think Oct 16, 2008

Andrea Jarmuschewski wrote:
I'm not in favor of the hiding feature either. One can always add a note or agree with another solution when they don't think anymore that their answer is correct.

From my point of view, the answer is the "property" of the answerer. If, in the judgement of the answerer, nothing good can derive from the proposal, neither immediately nor in the long run, the answerer should be entitled to take back the answer. It is to the answerer to decide whether the answer is good or not for any purpose.

As I said, if Proz reflects a hidden answer as no answer in the statistics... it should be corrected!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Addiction Oct 16, 2008

Teresa Mozo wrote:
Yes, it's always so much fun! I admit it, I'm kind of addicted.

Yes. Same in my case! I must see a shrink NOW!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No harm done! Oct 16, 2008

efreitag wrote:
I'm sorry for going off-topic and hijacking the thread.

No harm done at all Erik! Actually if this discussion helps preserving the hiding feature, I thank you for that!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Leaving things as they are... Oct 16, 2008

Carvallo wrote:
Being things the way they're now, I don't see any need to add new features. Just leave it as it is, ¿no?

Yes, I think Kudoz works fine now. However, many things we have now and some people enjoy (each person enjoys a different thing) are the result of evolution, so keeping the door to new ideas newcomers may have could be good in the long run. Thanks for your input Tadzio!

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:25
English to Spanish
Ooops! Oct 16, 2008

Erik and Andrea wrote:

I've always thought this was at least objectionable, if not against kudoz rules (unless your answer is cleary way off the mark)?

Best regards,
Erik

[/quote]

I'm
... See more
Erik and Andrea wrote:

Best regards,
Erik

[/quote]

I'm not in favor of the hiding feature either. One can always add a note or agree with another solution when they don't think anymore that their answer is correct. And hiding answers (and possible disagrees) would, as I understand it, change the proper answers to KudoZ points ratio (i.e. make it look more favorable for the person that hides answers).

But Tomás asked for the good features: one I particularly like is the ability to make a comment when agreeing or disagreeing with someone's answer. Lots of brainstorming going on there.

Andrea [/quote]

--------------------------------

I promise I will not do it again and to follow your advice.

Although I do not particularly care about accruing Kudoz points, I was genuinely totally unaware of the effects of deleting a wrong suggestion.

[Edited at 2008-10-16 15:35]

On second thought, and after following the other thread:
http://www.proz.com/post/969416#969416

[Edited at 2008-10-16 15:44]
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A summary Oct 18, 2008

Hi folks,

Thank you so much to all who have given their input about the positive aspects of Kudoz. I think I can safely make the following summary:

1. We love Kudoz for a number of reasons (actual help, networking with interesting peers, learning new things, sharpening our research and communication skills, even as a form of entertainment...).

2. For some reason, we are more prone to complain than to say good things about Kudoz. The short life
... See more
Hi folks,

Thank you so much to all who have given their input about the positive aspects of Kudoz. I think I can safely make the following summary:

1. We love Kudoz for a number of reasons (actual help, networking with interesting peers, learning new things, sharpening our research and communication skills, even as a form of entertainment...).

2. For some reason, we are more prone to complain than to say good things about Kudoz. The short life of this forum proves it! Maybe it is the same with so many things: we complain about our cellphone operator's customer service (all of them are rather bad actually) but don't value the fact that our cellphone works nicely in some God-forsaken valley in the middle of nowhere. We are just like that I reckon!

Again, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 04:25
Member (2003)
French to English
Great idea for a thread! Oct 20, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

.... I feel it's a good moment for us to declare what features in Kudoz we love and find particularly important and special...

Thank you for this POSITIVE thread. I am late reading this but I'll post anyway.

I like:

- Using the ProZ.com Term Search (made possible by KudoZ questions)
- Having my respected colleagues re-confirm my research
- Receiving and/or rewarding points
- Benefitting from a sense of camaraderie with other translation professionals

There are probably more but as you asked to keep this brief, I will.

I don't think the site staff needs to make any more changes to KudoZ. I think the only "improvement" could be that people keep in mind that this is a site for professionals, and treat one another with respect.

Don't get rid of the "hide" feature. Not for me, but because I think the option should be there.

That's it!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz: Features you love?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »