Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:53
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 13, 2003

Hi, everybody!

I've noticed that the questions in which the time of the answers is visible are only today's answers. That is, if you click on a question posted yesterday, for instance, the time for the different answers is not there!
If the first two or three answers are OK -and have been suggested at the same time- I usually agree with them all, but now I hesitate to agree with them all since I don't know what time they were posted!

I'm sure there is a good reaso
... See more
Hi, everybody!

I've noticed that the questions in which the time of the answers is visible are only today's answers. That is, if you click on a question posted yesterday, for instance, the time for the different answers is not there!
If the first two or three answers are OK -and have been suggested at the same time- I usually agree with them all, but now I hesitate to agree with them all since I don't know what time they were posted!

I'm sure there is a good reason behind this change but would like to have it the old way!

Thanks so much!

Regards,
Andrea
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Time flies Jun 15, 2003

Andrea Ali wrote:

Hi, everybody!

I'm sure there is a good reason behind this change but would like to have it the old way!

Thanks so much!

Regards,
Andrea

Agree with Andrea: it was not at all a good idea to remove the time. I also would like to know if all answers arrived at the same time or if someone fed off another person's answer an hour later and tried to make it their own. Without the time, the copycats now have a free hand.
Example: on one site, a number of us answered a question. The next day, another translator added her two cents worth, virtually copying an answer from the day before. But obviously aware that the time slot would disappear, she added, Oh, when I started answering, none of the above answers were there yet. And yet she answered a full 24 hours after the rest! I fully agree with Andrea that the time should stay put and not be removed. I really don't understand the purpose of the change.

[Edited at 2003-06-16 04:18]

[Edited at 2003-06-16 04:29]

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:53
Georgian to English
+ ...
Agree Jun 15, 2003

writeaway wrote:

Andrea Ali wrote:

Hi, everybody!

Thanks so much!

Regards,
Andrea

Agree with Andrea: it was not at all a good idea to remove the time. I would also like to know if all answers arrived at the same time or if someone fed off another person's answer an hour later and tried to make it their own. Without the time, the copycats now have a free hand.

denny (X)
denny (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:53
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Is confidence a better measure than time? Jun 26, 2003

Time of the reply/answer is objective. In contrast, confidence is not; I observe that some have greater confidence than they should and others have less than what they deserve. I think that listing anwers by the confidence level is a bad idea. And I am 100% confident that this is so:)

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:53
English to German
+ ...
Time is visible - listing is by confidence AND peer-grading Jun 26, 2003

One of the reasons behind the change from a purely time-based sequence to a modified listing (based on confidence level and peer-grading comments) is to stop the race to be "first past the post" - we have had quite a number of members entering just about anything just to be first (often entitled "See below" or "My take", etc.), and subsequently backing up their answer as they gradually did some research. This is not just a nuisance - it doesn't help the asker as much as an answer that is well-re... See more
One of the reasons behind the change from a purely time-based sequence to a modified listing (based on confidence level and peer-grading comments) is to stop the race to be "first past the post" - we have had quite a number of members entering just about anything just to be first (often entitled "See below" or "My take", etc.), and subsequently backing up their answer as they gradually did some research. This is not just a nuisance - it doesn't help the asker as much as an answer that is well-researched or based on experience.

The new structure is designed to encourage members to take their time. Note that the functionality is not 100% complete (nor is it perfect yet).

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:53
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the input! Jun 26, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

The new structure is designed to encourage members to take their time. Note that the functionality is not 100% complete (nor is it perfect yet).

Best regards, Ralf

Any change to improve things is welcomed! Then, I would only suggest changing the following:

"Al presente no ha habido respuestas propuestas.
Gane puntos KudoZ respondiendo ahora!"

Maybe doing away with the last sentence would be enough...
Just a suggestion. Thanks for all the effort!!!

Regards,
Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time not visible

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »