https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/12522-clickable_hyperlink_in_peer_comment_email_security_risk_.html

Clickable hyperlink in peer comment email - security risk ?
Thread poster: Norbert Hermann
Norbert Hermann
Norbert Hermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:39
English to German
+ ...
Jul 10, 2003

I have just received a peer agree from a user called 'Besitzer' with clickable hyperlink in the email - I normally copy and paste these links.

My suspicion was aroused when I did not find the user amongst the other peers in the list, nor in the directory.

Hope there is no reason to be alarmed.

Thanks

Norbert

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:39
SITE FOUNDER
Probably no reason to be alarmed Jul 10, 2003

Could you send me the email?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:39
English to German
+ ...
No security risk Jul 11, 2003

Confusion arose because of a change in the format of peer-grading notification - no security risk, since the URL shown led to a genuine member profile (it was the label shown with that link that was incorrect).

Thanks for notifying this.

Best regards, Ralf

Norbert Hermann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Henry & Ralf Jul 11, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Confusion arose because of a change in the format of peer-grading notification - no security risk, since the URL shown led to a genuine member profile (it was the label shown with that link that was incorrect).

Thanks for notifying this.

Best regards, Ralf

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 18:39
German to Romanian
+ ...
the name came from the KudoZNet settings Jul 11, 2003

I think I remember that email. The notification for peer grades sent via KudoZNet looks different (these are used more often by Romanian users, because they rarely have permanent connections). The name you have seen is the name that the user has entered as a display name in KudoZNet and this can be different from the user name on ProZ. This is what happened: you received a peer comment from someone using KudoZNet.

Norbert Hermann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aha, that explains it. Thanks Elvi. Jul 11, 2003

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

I think I remember that email. The notification for peer grades sent via KudoZNet looks different (these are used more often by Romanian users, because they rarely have permanent connections). The name you have seen is the name that the user has entered as a display name in KudoZNet and this can be different from the user name on ProZ. This is what happened: you received a peer comment from someone using KudoZNet.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clickable hyperlink in peer comment email - security risk ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »