Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 4, 2009

I wonder have any others detected among their colleagues what seems to be a disporortionate amount of questions asked compared to questions answered/other contributions to the site (other than a possible annual membership fee).

Some people here give so much and some nothing at all - just take, take, take - and the contrast is more than evident. In other words, there are some people (even non-members) who contribute hugely to broadening the knowledge of other translators (in the wi
... See more
I wonder have any others detected among their colleagues what seems to be a disporortionate amount of questions asked compared to questions answered/other contributions to the site (other than a possible annual membership fee).

Some people here give so much and some nothing at all - just take, take, take - and the contrast is more than evident. In other words, there are some people (even non-members) who contribute hugely to broadening the knowledge of other translators (in the widest sense), giving freely of their knowledge and time ... I'm referring especially to the latter's participation in the forums (as I no longer ask or answer questions, so can't judge there - but I personally have far more answers logged compared to questions, and that's largely becuase of the spirit in which I always took ProZ).

On the other hand, there seems to be what can only be called "free riders" ("those who consume more than their fair share of a resource, or shoulder less than a fair share of the costs of its production": see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_rider_problem. See also the link in this article to "leech(ing)").

A free rider is likely to pay full membership as being worth it in terms of getting fast answers to questions, including simple ones that are in contravention of Rule 2.1 on exhausting other sources first (like two I saw tonight from same free rider - over 2500 Qs asked to almost none answered - the answers to which I could find instantly in Google, both in Wiki).

This attitude reflects a mercantile and calculating approach to exploiting others' knowledge to one's own - and only one's own - benefit.

That where I want to contest those who might say I'm policing. I'm not policing an individual, I'm questioning an attitude, that of the free rider, who acts only in his/her own benefit and be damned the profession, ethics, principles, etc. Without going into recent details, I, plus a lot of other people, have and do act in favour of our profession but get far less sympathy in this site than the free riders.

I'm not flavour of the month in ProZ (all my posts will be reviewed for a month), but the whole free rider issue is worth thinking about at the individual level and beyond:-)
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Agree Mar 4, 2009

I filter them out - that is, I ignore such questions, both in Kudoz and the forums. From time to time I check out the profiles of the askers to see if there is anything there to confirm or contradict my impressions. There isn't much more you can do, is there?

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:58
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It's the Way of the World Mar 4, 2009

Dear Lia,
I fear it's just the Way of the World. In any system there will be "exploiters" and "givers". I don't think it's specific to Kudoz or Proz. As Margreet says, if you think someone is asking questions they should have been able to work out for themselves using dictionaries, Google, etc., just ignore them.
Sympathetic, but resigned,
Best wishes,
Jenny

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Free riding is the whole point of KudoZ Mar 4, 2009

Lia Fail wrote:

There is no rule or even an expectation that a user's number of KudoZ questions should be similar to his/her participation in answering questions. In fact, KudoZ is all about free riding. You ask questions and you sit and wait for answers. Members who do answer, do so because they enjoy it (or for other reasons).

If you want the ability to filter out people whose questions you don't like to answer, then submit that to the ProZ.com suggestion forum.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:58
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Available feature Mar 4, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

If you want the ability to filter out people whose questions you don't like to answer, then submit that to the ProZ.com suggestion forum.

Thanks Samuel, this feature is available today at KudoZ -> Dashboard -> Colleague Flags & Filters

Regards,
Enrique

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some of us just can't help it! Mar 4, 2009

I think that we frequent answerers have all tools necessary to avoid this situation: have information on the number of questions asked/answered of each asker; can flag/filter askers; can choose to see only questions from members...

Each of us has the freedom to decide whether helping these "free riders" makes sense or not. I believe in freedom.

Even if I am reluctant at first, I cannot help adding an answer in some topic I know well first-hand. If I can do something to
... See more
I think that we frequent answerers have all tools necessary to avoid this situation: have information on the number of questions asked/answered of each asker; can flag/filter askers; can choose to see only questions from members...

Each of us has the freedom to decide whether helping these "free riders" makes sense or not. I believe in freedom.

Even if I am reluctant at first, I cannot help adding an answer in some topic I know well first-hand. If I can do something to keep bad answers from being chosen, I will do it. A different matter is working for "free riders": I rarely spend more than 10 seconds in questions from these people.
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Don't waste time worrying about it Mar 4, 2009

Lia Fail wrote:

A free rider is likely to pay full membership as being worth it in terms of getting fast answers to questions, including simple ones that are in contravention of Rule 2.1 on exhausting other sources first (like two I saw tonight from same free rider - over 2500 Qs asked to almost none answered - the answers to which I could find instantly in Google, both in Wiki).

At the end of the day, do you really want this person answering questions?

In all fields of life there are those that help and those that get helped. I know which one I would rather be so I answer as many questions as I can. If I think somebody is a waste of oxygen, I simply ignore their questions.

Life is too short to waste time worrying about such people.

Terry.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 11:58
See it differently Mar 4, 2009

I benefit from answering questions.

Quite some of the questions end up with interesting academic discussions, which help me to clear out my thoughts about the terms. Even for a simple question, which I believe to know the answer at the first glance, I have to think twice when formulating my answer in the best understandable way; it is like a small brain jogging for me.

See what happens at the dinner table: some enjoy talking, others prefer listening, why must this be
... See more
I benefit from answering questions.

Quite some of the questions end up with interesting academic discussions, which help me to clear out my thoughts about the terms. Even for a simple question, which I believe to know the answer at the first glance, I have to think twice when formulating my answer in the best understandable way; it is like a small brain jogging for me.

See what happens at the dinner table: some enjoy talking, others prefer listening, why must this be changed?

[Edited at 2009-03-04 14:57 GMT]
Collapse

Eric Hahn (X)
Eric Hahn (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
About the benefits of being altruist Mar 4, 2009

Sometimes, I wonder about the questions, and the answers, too, but not about their number !

It's not free : You can earn kudoZ points and the admiration of the whole prose community by giving the very best answer !

[Edited at 2009-03-04 14:05 GMT]

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Hobby KudoZ answerers Mar 4, 2009

I noticed in many language pairs there are hobby KudoZ answerers. One English-Chinese KudoZ activist has answered more than a few thousand questions, and as a sharp contrast, has not raised even one single question.

It is not all about “giving” and “taking”, for some it is more a social life.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Not (no longer) really a 'free' ride.... Mar 4, 2009

I think some of the riding (on the back of others) could end up being costly. Because with the low level of many questions (why is this happening? are language beginners taking up translation??) comes the equivalent low level of many answers. Poetic justice to us cynics, but if they happen to be working for a client who cares about quality, it could be the end of a beautiful relationship...
My main concern is the incredible degree of laziness currently shown by a large number of askers.
... See more
I think some of the riding (on the back of others) could end up being costly. Because with the low level of many questions (why is this happening? are language beginners taking up translation??) comes the equivalent low level of many answers. Poetic justice to us cynics, but if they happen to be working for a client who cares about quality, it could be the end of a beautiful relationship...
My main concern is the incredible degree of laziness currently shown by a large number of askers. Far too many questions have answers that are either common knowledge or that can be found in a matter of seconds in any half-decent bilingual dictionary or by one click of the mouse but people don't see why they should bother looking. One person even stated "I don't have time to Google" . But he DID have time to post a long list of easy questions. Over a period of several days....
In the old days, the site was allowed to be a bit self-regulating and lazy askers were reminded about dictionaries and the web and told that professional translators didn't ask dictionary questions. Even the site diplomatically dropped the hint with the now 'dangerous' rule 2.1. I think it did some people good and got them on the road to becoming real professionals-because real professional translators do their own research and only turn to colleagues if they cannot manage to resolve a problem once they've exhausted all possible options. Not just because they can't bother to look or because they've paid 120 euros/dollars for an annual subscription to ride for free......

Collapse

sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Agree with Jenny Mar 4, 2009

Jenny Forbes wrote:
I fear it's just the Way of the World.

It's like bad weather - there will always be people like this.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your comments Mar 4, 2009

Yesterday I was irritated, today I have recuperated a certain sense of perspective by letting off steam:-)

Of course you all have a point, and indeed, I've simply dealt with the irritation from ages ago by stopping participation in KudoZ.

I don't think I'm the only one.

writeaway

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
No, you're not Mar 4, 2009

Lia Fail wrote:

Of course you all have a point, and indeed, I've simply dealt with the irritation from ages ago by stopping participation in KudoZ.

I don't think I'm the only one.

It's a waste of time and energy, in my view. Makes far better sense to have a trusted circle of colleagues behind the scenes with whom to share terminology questions, if and when necessary.

Be careful though, even that situation can become abusive (and did, in my case, a couple of years ago). Even though the person concerned was a fun person to chat to otherwise, it simply became necessary to snip the 'umbilical cord'.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Free riders Mar 4, 2009

I'm really annoyed at the moment with this. There is currently a FR-EN translator who has clearly taken on, yet again, translations she cannot deal with and has done nothing but post Kudoz questions, which she should be able to find the answer to, since last night. Her contribution to the site - 0 answers and 158 questions. I think there have been over 30 in less than the last 24 hours.
I'm more than happy to help, when someone is struggling; enough helping hands have been extended to m
... See more
I'm really annoyed at the moment with this. There is currently a FR-EN translator who has clearly taken on, yet again, translations she cannot deal with and has done nothing but post Kudoz questions, which she should be able to find the answer to, since last night. Her contribution to the site - 0 answers and 158 questions. I think there have been over 30 in less than the last 24 hours.
I'm more than happy to help, when someone is struggling; enough helping hands have been extended to me after all, but it really should be reciprocal, not just because you can't be bothered to look it up yourself.

Call me petty, and many of you will, but I will not answer questions for people like this.

I'll just go and hide now.
Collapse

writeaway

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free riders

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »