A sharp drop of KudoZ notifications received -- happened to you too? (Staff: Fixed)
Thread poster: Maciek Drobka

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:20
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Apr 29, 2009

Hi all,

Here is the situation:

Last Monday (27th April) evening (around 21:00 CET), I noticed I hadn't received a few KudoZ notifications I should have received. As this had happened before, I was not alarmed.

Yesterday (Tuesday), I only received around 20-30% of KudoZ notifications I would have normally received. I submitted a support ticket, and the site staff promptly replied that the KudoZ questions that had not been notified to me were outside my specialty/working fields, for example Accounting.

This struck me as odd, because I had also received Accounting question notifications before that Monday evening. I have checked carefully: I would have normally received notifications for all KudoZ questions that have not been notified to me since last Monday evening.

The site staff told me I only receive notifications for field marked as my Specialty fields, Working fields and Interest fields on my profile. (This is apparently how the system interprets my 'All fields' selection in KudoZ Dashboard.) That again was surprising to hear, as I haven't changed my profile fields for ages, and always received notifications for all fields, regardless of whether they were my Specialty/Working/Interest fields or not. (In fact, I have no Interest fields defined.) Even more surprising, because when asked specifically whether the link between which fields I have selected and the notifications I receive had changed recently, the site staff said no, it had not changed.

I really do not know what to think. Has anybody with a similar profile and KudoZ Dashboard field setup recently noticed a similar drop in the number of KudoZ notifications received?

Also, if I want to maximize fields for which I receive KudoZ notifications, is adding as many fields as possible under Interest fields on my profile the only way to accomplish this?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Maciek

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-29 12:17 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-29 16:32 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
Shouldn't happen... Apr 29, 2009

as far as I know. I receive notification for all sorts of fields I don't work in, unless the questions is marked "targeted" to native speakers of a language I'm not native in.

It may be worth checking your Kudoz notification settings again, even if as you say you haven't changed anything recently. Make sure everything is marked for you to receive immediate alerts, on all fields, Pro and Non-Pro (if that's what you want). Maybe some bug changed things for you!

Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have checked Apr 29, 2009

Nesrin wrote:

(...)

It may be worth checking your Kudoz notification settings again, even if as you say you haven't changed anything recently. Make sure everything is marked for you to receive immediate alerts, on all fields, Pro and Non-Pro (if that's what you want). Maybe some bug changed things for you!

I have quintuple-checked it since Monday.

Theoretically, everything is set up the way it should.

Teresa Mozo  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Apr 29, 2009

Hi Maciek,
It's the same for me since yesterday. Particularly in one of my pairs (german to spanish) I almost stopped receiving notifications.

Settings are not changed!!

Greetings

Teresa

Antoinette Verburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same here Apr 29, 2009

Hi Maciek,

I'm experiencing the same problem and I've received the same response from staff.

Apparently, all of a sudden 'All fields' only refers to 'My fields', which seems quite confusing to me ... unless we are dealing with a bug here after all?

Antoinette

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Me too Apr 29, 2009

I've just checked the questions in the pairs I ask to be notified to me, and have found some which have not been notified, though without any special restriction by the asker. Must be a bug, surely?

Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Two possible reasons... Apr 29, 2009

It IS a little heartening to hear I am not the only one experiencing the problem.

I see two possible reasons. Either there is a bug of which the staff are not aware, or the 'All fields' button is now interpreted in a different way. (Of which some of the staff have not been notified. Pun intended. )

Maybe the staff will find it justified to contribute here.

M

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 01:20
SITE FOUNDER
Sounds like a bug... Apr 29, 2009

My guess is that there is a bug here. Still a bit early here, I'll ask when developers arrive...

xxxK. Ganly  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Similar problem Apr 29, 2009

I have been experiencing a similar problem over the past couple of days, which had been puzzling me.
Only about 50% of notifications have been getting through to my inbox - all settings checked and spam checked too! Strange, though hopefully will be fixed soon enough.

GILOU  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
The same here Apr 29, 2009

Same problems here since monday.

Jared Tabor
Local time: 02:20
SITE STAFF
Should be working properly now Apr 29, 2009

Hello all,

Thanks everyone for reporting this, for the patience, and sorry for the inconvenience involved. KudoZ notifications should be going out normally now. If you notice further problems, please feel free to submit a support request with the specifics (in cases like this it helps to include the links to a few questions for which you should have received notification).

Best regards,

Jared

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A sharp drop of KudoZ notifications received -- happened to you too? (Staff: Fixed)

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search