Argentina
Local time: 06:21
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Apr 30, 2009

Dear members,

Some small changes were implemented in KudoZ:

Simplification of the KudoZ interface

A recent thread discussed the convenience of simplifying the KudoZ interface.

The following changes were implemented to achieve this goal:

• The track button (a member-only feature) was replaced with a "track question" selection box at the left of the questi... See more
  • Dear members,

Some small changes were implemented in KudoZ:

Simplification of the KudoZ interface

A recent thread discussed the convenience of simplifying the KudoZ interface.

The following changes were implemented to achieve this goal:

• The track button (a member-only feature) was replaced with a "track question" selection box at the left of the questions. When this box is selected, you receive a notification each time a reference post or an answer is posted.

• Three configuration features were removed from the discussion box and added to the dashboard (as they are more likely general preferences, not related to a particular question).

• When there are no discussion entries in a question, the corresponding box is hidden and replaced by a "Post discussion" button.

• Explanatory text in the discussion box was deleted and added as a mouse-over message to the "Post discussion" button.

• The "Post discussion" and "Hide discussion" buttons were hidden when a discussion entry is being made.

Tracking issues

In the announcement of the merging of the "clarification" and "discussion" areas, some requests were made about the tracking of discussion entries. This was implemented as follows:

• When "track question" selection box at the left of the questions is selected, you receive a notification each time a reference post or an answer is posted.

• When the "track discussion" box inside the discussion area is selected, you receive a notification each time a discussion entry is made.

• When you select the "track question" box, the "track discussion" will also be selected. You can then de-select any of them independently.

• When you post a reference comment, an answer or a discussion entry, the "track discussion" box is selected.

• If you de-select the "track discussion" box once, it will no longer be automatically selected again in this question.

Thanks for your feedback and for your support of the site.

Regards,
    Enrique

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-07 17:12 GMT] ▲ Collapse

•  
    Stéphanie Soudais
    Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
    France
    Local time: 11:21
    English to French
    Thanks Enrique May 1, 2009

It all looks clearer and easier to use now!

Stéphanie

Nikki Graham
    Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 10:21
    Spanish to English
    Discussion box title May 1, 2009

I mentioned this a few days ago in another thread, but don't believe there was any staff reply/feedback from colleagues.

Personally, I find it very annoying to have to come up with a title for any discussion post I may wish to make. Is it really necessary for there to be a title? Couldn't we just get rid of it?

Interested to hear what others think.

Edward Potter
    Edward Potter  Identity Verified
    Spain
    Member (2003)
    Spanish to English
    + ...
    Highlighting last search term May 1, 2009

I hope this isn't too far off the subject.

How do you get the search box to automatically highlight your last search term? This would make it easy to type over the last search term rather than dragging your mouse over it every time.

Enrique Cavalitto
    Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
    Argentina
    Member (2006)
    English to Spanish
    TOPIC STARTER
    Discussion box title May 1, 2009

Nikki Graham wrote:

Personally, I find it very annoying to have to come up with a title for any discussion post I may wish to make. Is it really necessary for there to be a title? Couldn't we just get rid of it?

Hi Nikki,

It is true that writing a title requires an additional effort, but on the other hand they are part of the notifications sent to the users tracking discussion entries (to let them know what the entry was about).

Regards,
    Enrique

Nikki Graham
    United Kingdom
    Spanish to English
    More on discussion title May 1, 2009

Enrique wrote:

It is true that writing a title requires an additional effort, but on the other hand they are part of the notifications sent to the users tracking discussion entries (to let them know what the entry was about).

Why not just send them the whole thing? Then they'll have an even better idea what it's about (or is that done already?)

It's the additional effort I object to. The discussion area should be a flow of ideas and having to classify them with a title interrupts the flow and is off-putting (IMHO). It's bad enough in the forums. I still don't know what to put for this reply.

Enrique Cavalitto
    Argentina
    Member (2006)
    English to Spanish
    TOPIC STARTER
    Wouldn't it be too long? May 1, 2009

Nikki Graham wrote:

Enrique wrote:

Why not just send them the whole thing? Then they'll have an even better idea what it's about (or is that done already?)

It's the additional effort I object to. The discussion area should be a flow of ideas and having to classify them with a title interrupts the flow and is off-putting (IMHO). It's bad enough in the forums. I still don't know what to put for this reply.

A discussion entry may be 1200 characters long. Wouldn't it be too long to paste it in a notification? I believe a title provides better readability in the question and better notifications.

Enrique

Stéphanie Soudais
    Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
    France
    English to French
    box titles May 1, 2009

Enrique wrote:

Nikki Graham wrote:

Enrique wrote:

A discussion entry may be 1200 characters long. Wouldn't it be too long to paste it in a notification? I believe a title provides better readability in the question and better notifications.

Enrique

I completly agree with Nikki. Some time ago (at the "ask the asker" time), you would receive email notifications with whole comments, i.e. no need to go back to ProZ to see the question and discussion.

Now I find it very annoying to read an email that only says that someone posted a comment entitled XXX and asks me to click on the link to see that comment. For me it's wasting time. I would rather read the whole thing in my email box. If I find the comment too long, I simply don't read it...

[Edited at 2009-05-01 11:57 GMT]

Nikki Graham
    United Kingdom
    Spanish to English
    Still much shorter than forum posts May 1, 2009

Enrique wrote:

Enrique

We receive the entire post of a forum entry, which is usually longer than a discussion box entry, so where's the problem? It's less time consuming to read the content in an email rather than click on the link to have to read it, especially if you only want to digest the info rather than respond to/act on it.

Nikki Graham
    United Kingdom
    Spanish to English
    Snap May 1, 2009

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

I completly agree with Nikki. Some time ago (at the "ask the asker" time), you would receive email notifications with whole comments, i.e. no need to go back to ProZ to see the question and discussion.

Now I find it very annoying to read an email that only says that someone posted a comment entitled XXX and asks me to click on the link to see that comment. For me it's wasting time. I would rather read the whole thing in my email box. If I find the comment too long, I simply don't read it...

Totally agree with you, Stéphanie, we were writing virtually the same at the same time.

juvera
    juvera  Identity Verified
    English to Hungarian
    + ...
    Doesn't show May 2, 2009

Enrique wrote:

• The track button (a member-only feature) was replaced with a "track question" selection box at the left of the questions. When this box is selected, you receive a notification each time a reference post or an answer is posted.
    Tracking issues

• When "track question" selection box at the left of the questions is selected, you receive a notification each time a reference post or an answer is posted.

• I checked several questions, and I cannot find it anywhere, and yes, I am a paid member.

This one comes up, once a discussion is on the way:

• When the "track discussion" box inside the discussion area is selected, you receive a notification each time a discussion entry is made.

•  
    Alejandro Cavalitto
    Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
    Argentina
    Member (2008)
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    Old design May 2, 2009

juvera wrote:

Enrique wrote:

Tracking issues

• I checked several questions, and I cannot find it anywhere, and yes, I am a paid member.

Hi Juvera,

I just found out that the new box is not visible in the old design of the site.

You are using the old design. It will no longer be available starting May 22, 2009.

You can switch to the new design at the top right of your homepage.

Meanwhile, I will ask one of our developers to have a look into this.

Regards,
    Alejandro

juvera
    juvera  Identity Verified
    English to Hungarian
    + ...
    Thank you Alejandro, May 2, 2009

I am surprised that nobody else picked it up.
    Oh, well, I'll have to switch over anyway....

Enrique Cavalitto
    Argentina
    Member (2006)
    English to Spanish
    TOPIC STARTER
    Titles of discussion entries are now optional May 5, 2009

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

Nikki Graham wrote:

We receive the entire post of a forum entry, which is usually longer than a discussion box entry, so where's the problem? It's less time consuming to read the content in an email rather than click on the link to have to read it, especially if you only want to digest the info rather than respond to/act on it.

Thanks Nikki and Stéphanie!

Your suggestions have been implemented. The title of the discussion entries is now optional and the notifications include the whole text of the entry.

Thanks for your feedback and for your support of the site!

Regards,
    Enrique

Nikki Graham
    United Kingdom
    Spanish to English
    Many thanks, Enrique May 5, 2009

That's great.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Small changes implemented in KudoZ

Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
    Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »