No "Answer Selected" Messages When Questions Graded in Beta Mode?
Thread poster: Rowan Morrell
Rowan Morrell
Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 11:18
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2003

It appears that when a KudoZ question is graded in Beta mode, only the winning answerer is notified. Those who miss out get nothing at all. No points, no message, nada.

My reason for supposing this is that a week or so ago, I answered a number of questions from one particular asker in the German-English pair, which were all graded in Beta mode. I know this, because when I "won" a question, I received a "Your answer wa
... See more
It appears that when a KudoZ question is graded in Beta mode, only the winning answerer is notified. Those who miss out get nothing at all. No points, no message, nada.

My reason for supposing this is that a week or so ago, I answered a number of questions from one particular asker in the German-English pair, which were all graded in Beta mode. I know this, because when I "won" a question, I received a "Your answer was chosen" message, as opposed to the "Congratulations!" one you get in Standard mode. But when I "lost", I never got a message saying so. I only found out by checking out the guy's other questions.

Similarly, I recently answered some questions from the same asker in Spanish-English. When I "won", I got "Your answer was chosen", but when I "lost", nothing.

Has anyone else noticed this? It's kind of hard to notice, because if you don't get a message saying a question has closed, you would think it simply hasn't been graded yet.

Currently I have about 30-odd KudoZ questions in German-English open, which I'm going to grade over the next few hours as I get this current big job of mine finished up. I'm going to grade them all in Beta mode. So if you're in the German-English pair and have answered some of my recent questions, could you please let me know if you get an "Answer selected" type e-mail, should you miss out on points?

Although "Answer selected" messages are obviously less enjoyable to receive than the Congratulations/Your answer was chosen ones, it's still nice to know when a question you've answered has been closed and how it went. So I hope that if there is a bug involving notifications about questions graded in Beta mode, it will be fixed soon. TIA for looking into it.

Best Regards

ROWAN MORRELL
(WriteWord Translations)
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:18
Member (2004)
English to Italian
30 open questions? Aug 20, 2003

WOW!:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

G

[Edited at 2003-08-20 09:02]

Rowan Morrell
New Zealand
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Deliberate Policy? Aug 20, 2003

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI wrote:

WOW!:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

G

[Edited at 2003-08-20 09:02]

Well, it's down to about 20 now. I've been grading questions thick and fast for the last half hour or so.

But as I've graded, I've noticed the message you get in Beta mode says the winning answerer has been notified, but makes no mention of the other contributors being notified and thanked, which it does in Standard mode.

In which case, maybe it's not a bug but policy? Could someone please confirm that?

If it is policy, I have reservations about it. I guess it would cut down on the amount of e-mail the KudoZ server is having to send out, but even so, it's interesting sometimes to know when a question you've answered has been closed, even if your answer wasn't chosen. You could miss out on potentially valuable feedback this way.

Anyway, I'm going to continue grading away in Beta mode, and would still like to hear from at least one or two people who "lost" questions of mine as to whether they got an e-mail notification. Alternatively, confirmation from someone "high up" that notifications are not sent out to "losing" answerers in Beta mode would also be appreciated.

Best Regards

ROWAN M.

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:18
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No "Answer Selected" notification Aug 20, 2003

Rowan Morrell wrote:

...I know this, because when I "won" a question, I received a "Your answer was chosen" message, as opposed to the "Congratulations!" one you get in Standard mode. But when I "lost", I never got a message saying so. I only found out by checking out the guy's other questions.

Has anyone else noticed this? It's kind of hard to notice, because if you don't get a message saying a question has closed, you would think it simply hasn't been graded yet.
Although "Answer selected" messages are obviously less enjoyable to receive than the Congratulations/Your answer was chosen ones, it's still nice to know when a question you've answered has been closed and how it went. So I hope that if there is a bug involving notifications about questions graded in Beta mode, it will be fixed soon. TIA for looking into it.

Best Regards

ROWAN MORRELL
(WriteWord Translations)

Hi, Rowan!

I have also noticed that. Though less enjoyable than a "Congratulations" or "Your answer chosen" notification, I always go back to the questions to see which answer was chosen, who agreed, disagreed with it and so on.
I keep the agree/disagree notifications and from time to time go back to the question to see if it has been graded or not...

I would like to have the "Answer Selected" notification back!

Regards,
Andrea

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:18
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Please also post to KudoZ Beta bugs thread Aug 20, 2003

Hi Rowan et al,

It would be helpful if this problem were re-posted in the KudoZ Beta bugs thread in order for Henry, Jason etc. to concentrate on one discussion in which all (potential) bugs appear.

MTIA for your understanding,
Steffen

Rowan Morrell
New Zealand
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Andrea Aug 20, 2003

Glad to know I'm not the only one noticing this! Like you, I keep peer grade notifications and check back, but even so, you can lose track a bit. Getting an "Answer selected" message would be better, IMHO, so let's hope it's fixed in due course.

Oh, and Steffen, I have reposted the question in the Bugs thread as well.

Best Regards

ROWAN M.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No "Answer Selected" Messages When Questions Graded in Beta Mode?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »