Can someone explain why there would be any restrictions for viewing a term in the glossary?
Thread poster: writeaway

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Aug 30, 2003

I was looking up a term in the German glossaries. There were only 2 entries and this is the second one:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&id=484517&keyword=Teilbereich
< Previous (pro) Next (pro)>

The KudoZ question 484517 is only visible to certain teams or to an individual member.

You have no access to this question.

Why would viewing a term ever be restricted to certain individuals?

Direct link Reply with quote

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:14
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Questions answered within a ProZ.com team using KudoZ.net Aug 30, 2003

writeaway wrote:

I was looking up a term in the German glossaries. There were only 2 entries and this is the second one:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&id=484517&keyword=Teilbereich
< Previous (pro) Next (pro)>

The KudoZ question 484517 is only visible to certain teams or to an individual member.

You have no access to this question.

Why would viewing a term ever be restricted to certain individuals?

Hello,

To my knowledge, KudoZ.net includes a feature for ProZ.com teams collaborating on larger projects. The hidden entry may just be a KudoZ asked/answered within such a team using KudoZ.net. *Perhaps* these answers are thus not accessible to any other ProZ.com member as they don't go into the KudoZ open glossary.

Also, KudoZ.net enables questions to be asked to individual members (same principle seems to apply here).

Henry, Hermann, could you possibly comment on this?

Regards and a nice rest of the weekend,
Steffen

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
then why isn't there a separate glossary for teams only? Aug 30, 2003

[quote]Steffen Walter wrote:

Hello,

To my knowledge, KudoZ.net includes a feature for ProZ.com teams collaborating on larger projects. The hidden entry may just be a KudoZ asked/answered within such a team using KudoZ.net. *Perhaps* these answers are thus not accessible to any other ProZ.com member as they don't go into the KudoZ open glossary.

Also, KudoZ.net enables questions to be asked to individual members (same principle seems to apply here). [end quote]

Ok, but then why not make a separate teams glossary? It was listed in the open glossary but then turned out to have restricted access. Is there a reason/justification for teams to hide their information/findings?

[Edited at 2003-08-30 14:10]

[Edited at 2003-08-30 14:11]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Steffen is right - KudoZ.net for teams Aug 30, 2003

Hi,
As it happens, the question referred to was entered by a member of my team, and was answered by myself.

KudoZ.net allows us to use the KudoZ structure for terminology work within specific projects. In fact, we have more or less discarded our own terminology platform and are now using KudoZ.net.

Given that these questions are often client-specific, and may contain confidential information, the details are only accessible to team members. That said, glossary entries are openly accessible on the site - IOW the information content is similar to glossary entries uploaded by members.

Note that team-specific or personal questions do not get any KudoZ points.

HTH - Ralf

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
confidential information is a good reason....... Aug 30, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi,
As it happens, the question referred to was entered by a member of my team, and was answered by myself.

KudoZ.net allows us to use the KudoZ structure for terminology work within specific projects. In fact, we have more or less discarded our own terminology platform and are now using KudoZ.net.

Given that these questions are often client-specific, and may contain confidential information, the details are only accessible to team members. That said, glossary entries are openly accessible on the site - IOW the information content is similar to glossary entries uploaded by members.

Note that team-specific or personal questions do not get any KudoZ points.

HTH - Ralf

Thanks Ralf. I understand the need not to reveal any confidential information or customer details. It's just that the particular term I looked up only had 2 entries and one was restricted. Is there any way a team could edit the terms they enter and just give the definitions used, without revealing any confidential information? Or could these entries be pre-marked as having 'restricted access'. Would save time and disappointment.
BTW-you will be missed as De-En Moderator. Your fairness, impartiality and availability make you a hard act to follow.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Will forward the suggestion Aug 30, 2003

Hi again,
Is there any way a team could edit the terms they enter and just give the definitions used, without revealing any confidential information?

That's a difficult one, because part of the usefulness of team questions is that you don't have to restrict anything (internally, that is), as opposed to asking questions openly.

Or could these entries be pre-marked as having 'restricted access'. Would save time and disappointment.

I'll send Hermann Bruns a message notifying him of this thread.

Thanks for your kind words.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can someone explain why there would be any restrictions for viewing a term in the glossary?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search