liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:28
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2009

Good morning everybody!

Having made one or two linguistic gaffes of late on the Proz site (!) I was wondering whether colleagues remove their silly answers when they realise they have made a huge gaffe/faux-pas? If so, why? Purely out of interest.

Sometimes I withdraw mine, sometimes I leave them:-)

All comments gratefully received.

Liz Askew

[Edited at 2009-06-25 09:32 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I usually leave them... Jun 25, 2009

as Strindberg said, "In silence you can't hide anything ... as you can in words."

G

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:28
German to English
Same as you Jun 25, 2009

Liz, sometimes I hide them, sometimes I don't. If they are not too far off the mark I leave them. Nobody's perfect. But if they are, like, reeaallly stupid, I hide them. Don't want people coming back next years saying look at the c*#? you posted as an answer there.icon_smile.gif

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Remove them Jun 25, 2009

To me, Kudoz is far more useful along time than at the moment of the question. I don't want to confuse future visitors with my mistakes, so in a case like the one described I hide my proposal.

Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I remove them... Jun 25, 2009

... if they are major errors which should never have seen the light of day, otherwise I leave them and let my peers show me what a fool I've been.

Andy

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I remove them Jun 25, 2009

It's only happened a couple of times, fortunately, but I removed them, as far as I can remember.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Hide, hide, hide Jun 25, 2009

To be fair, it is usually the result of answering when the correct response on my part would have been to either just ignore the question or ask for more context before answering. So I hide stuff that is obviously wrong in the light of subsequent info.

I think I have left a couple of answers un-hidden when they are, shall we say, the kind of mistake anyone could make, for the benefit of future generations, so that hopefully the mistake is not repeated.

Anne-Marie Grant  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I remove them Jun 25, 2009

if I think they make me look daft or if I think they would be a hindrance to future readers.

The only one for which someone gave me an actual 'disagree' though I left, because I thought it was useful as a warning to others to not blindly trust Wikipedia!!

anamaria bulgariu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:28
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
definite yes for removal Jun 25, 2009

Why leaving them in the system for posterity?

Most of them happen because of not paying enough attention to the context or to the field. So... there is no point in confusing anyone who might stumble upon my entry later, is there?

LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
They will be indexed on Google and will stay there forever Jun 25, 2009

like anything we write on Proz (topic already discussed somewhere). So I have occasionally removed wrong answers I'd prefer not to be remembered for...

Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Nothing to hide Jun 25, 2009

If I make a gaffe, I acknowledge it - after all, we're all humans, aren't we? But I wouldn't remove it, somehow it does not feel right to me. It wouldn't be misleading either as I'd add a comment.

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
I do not Jun 25, 2009

Helps me remember I am not perfect. It's like a reality check for my self-image.icon_wink.gif

M

xxxtom corradin
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Nobody is perfect... Jun 25, 2009

Nobody is perfect. At the end of the day is the number of good things you do that counts. A small mistake just makes you more human. I wouldn't trust somebody claiming he's never made a mistake....

Andrea Flaßbeck  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Usually I don't Jun 25, 2009

But once (it was quite late in the eveningicon_biggrin.gif), I somehow spaced out when I did the research, so I came up with a perfect translation – for the wrong term (one that I've encountered during my research). So yes, I did hide that answer.

[Edited at 2009-06-25 11:58 GMT]

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 03:28
English to Greek
+ ...
Hide them... Jun 25, 2009

... with egg on my face! Same as other answerers, I'd rather not display major gaffes, plus it is not helpful to leave silly stuff for future askers to see.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you withdraw major gaffes?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search