https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/138598-removal_of_%22not_for_points%22_option.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Removal of "not for points" option?
Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:57
Italian to English
Jun 25, 2009

I must admit I do not understand the rationale behind the "not for points" option. Surely if someone asks for help with a translation term, those who take the time and effort to answer should at least be rewarded?

There are plenty of sites on the web providing "free" translations; if someone wants a translation from a human as opposed to a machine they should at least, in my humble opinion, go to the trouble of thanking that person.

Just my 2 cents - any thoughts?

Sakis Serafeim
Sakis Serafeim
Local time: 19:57
English to Greek
+ ...
Agree Jun 25, 2009

Your two cents make lots of sense.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:57
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Have you seen this Forum topic? Jun 25, 2009

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/138563-would_you_bother_answering_if_the_points_system_were_abolished.html

I am inclined to share your opinion, but don't feel particularly strongly about it. The only difference it makes to me is that I am less inclined to answer not-for-points questions if I am busy at the time, but o
... See more
http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/138563-would_you_bother_answering_if_the_points_system_were_abolished.html

I am inclined to share your opinion, but don't feel particularly strongly about it. The only difference it makes to me is that I am less inclined to answer not-for-points questions if I am busy at the time, but otherwise I usually try to do so if I think I have anything useful to contribute.
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
A difference Jun 25, 2009

Hi Jack,
I do see your point, but I think there is a difference between a system where no points are awarded at all, therefore built entirely on altruism and generosity of spirit (:)), and one built principally on the awarding of points, which an asker can however opt out of, and decide they're going to ask for help but not offer any reward to that asker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not losing any sleep over this, I just think that there will always be generous KudoZ contributors
... See more
Hi Jack,
I do see your point, but I think there is a difference between a system where no points are awarded at all, therefore built entirely on altruism and generosity of spirit (:)), and one built principally on the awarding of points, which an asker can however opt out of, and decide they're going to ask for help but not offer any reward to that asker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not losing any sleep over this, I just think that there will always be generous KudoZ contributors who will answer whether there are points on offer or not. I just think this option is unfair towards answerers in general.

(OK so I seem to have painted a kind of Stepford Wives scenario, but I hope I'm making some kind of sense...)
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:57
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Agree, Fiona. Jun 25, 2009

I've always found the "not for points" option pointless.

Milan Djukić
Milan Djukić  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Vote "Yes" Jun 25, 2009

Agree with Fiona.

carly kelly
carly kelly  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Never understood it anyway Jun 25, 2009

Hi Fiona,
I must say I would never ask a not-for-points question , and I can't imagine why anyone else would either.
I've also noticed that the response to not-for-points questions is generally quite poor compared to "for-points" questions, at least in my (and your) language pair anyway.

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:57
French to English
+ ...
I think within a points system Jun 25, 2009

the 'not for points questions' seem like the poor relations and therefore don't get much attention, so I don't think their removal would be greatly mourned. I say this even though I am starting to question the points system as a whole!!

[Edited at 2009-06-25 13:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-25 13:10 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Completely agree! Jun 25, 2009

I would completely agree to a deletion of the "not for points" thing.

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:57
English to Portuguese
Agree Jun 25, 2009

I find the "from test/homework" option pretty useless to. What difference does it make where the question came from?

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:57
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
An attempt to please some answerers... Jun 25, 2009

IMO, this option was added as an attempt to please those KudoZ answerers who want to answer KudoZ questions without getting KudoZ points. Therefore, shouldn't this option be left up to the answerers, rather than to the askers?

Just an idea,

Monika

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
If it is to please the answerers... Jun 25, 2009

then we need a different button in its place:

It is placed on the screen for submitting an answer and says, "Click here to indicate that you do not wish to be awarded points, even if your answer is chosen as the most helpful."

Fiona Grace Peterson
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I understand your point, but... Jun 25, 2009

I can understand why that might be the case, but I think more often than not it's a "lazy option" for askers, and not fair to those who in any case take the time and effort to respond (if someone really doesn't want the KudoZ points awarded them I'm sure they could be removed by site staff).

ETA: Great idea, Astrid - I think that's brilliant

[Edited at 2009-06-25 15:26 GMT]

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes Jun 25, 2009

I still fail to see the point of these "not for points" questions in particular when they are asked by translators claiming to be professionals. There is no rush in closing a question and an asker could easily wait for days before closing it.

I answer both "for points" and "not for points" questions, but I will definitely spend more time looking for references if it is a "for points" question. The way I see it, "not for points" questions convey the message "don't bother too much", a
... See more
I still fail to see the point of these "not for points" questions in particular when they are asked by translators claiming to be professionals. There is no rush in closing a question and an asker could easily wait for days before closing it.

I answer both "for points" and "not for points" questions, but I will definitely spend more time looking for references if it is a "for points" question. The way I see it, "not for points" questions convey the message "don't bother too much", any kind of answer, even an approximative one, will do. Giving points equals saying "thank you".
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 10:57
Dutch to English
+ ...
A matter of attitude Jun 25, 2009

I am not concerned about the points per sé but about the attitude of those who don't wish to thank the people who have spent time and effort to help them out. I don't bother answering "not for points" questions, nor do I answer or validate "first validated answer" questions. I think both are bad deviations from what is basically a good system.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Removal of "not for points" option?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »