Thread poster: Sandra Petch
Umang Dholabhai
Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:38
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Questions unrelated to Translation Jul 13, 2009

The discussion in this thread is I presume, about authentic inquiries regarding translation of a term. I have noticed general questions which should have been in the forums, being out there on the Kudoz. I wonder if such questions are only fetching the answerers "empty" points even if the question was not closed by the asker. I do agree that the askers who do not care should not only be not cared for either but penalized as well. I have come across students of technical courses who have bookmark... See more
The discussion in this thread is I presume, about authentic inquiries regarding translation of a term. I have noticed general questions which should have been in the forums, being out there on the Kudoz. I wonder if such questions are only fetching the answerers "empty" points even if the question was not closed by the asker. I do agree that the askers who do not care should not only be not cared for either but penalized as well. I have come across students of technical courses who have bookmarked Proz just as a ready reckoner to get free translations / meaning without having to take the trouble of referring simply to a dictionary (and do not close). There are also people who use it to actually learn a language (who close the answers only after a good lesson in the language).Collapse

Deborah Hoffman
Deborah Hoffman  Identity Verified

Local time: 20:08
Russian to English
+ ...
what to do Jul 26, 2009

if none of the answers are appropriate? In the past I've left it open to at least let the automatic grading give someone credit (ok I admit sometimes I have failed to go back and grade in time, and will try to improve) instead of just closing it and then nobody gets anything. What do other people do?

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:08
English to French
what to do Jul 27, 2009

Deborah Hoffman wrote:

if none of the answers are appropriate?

You can "close the question without grading", reason: no acceptable answer. And you can add a note with the answer you found in the end (answerers will surely appreciate).

Stéphanie

Deborah Hoffman
Deborah Hoffman  Identity Verified

Local time: 20:08
Russian to English
+ ...
Oh I see Jan 31, 2010

I see they've made that option recently. I can't see it on the older Kudoz so I assume it was just made available (although, if memory services, wasn't it previously available also then disappeared?)

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 02:08
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Ask for the answer, e.g. in the discussion box Feb 1, 2010

Kim Metzger wrote:

... Worse yet are questions closed without grading: "answer found elsewhere", but no clue as to what the answer was. I would call this kind of behavior "disturbing the peace" of the community.

[Edited at 2009-07-12 21:15 GMT]

Certainly very irritating.

Whenever I find one of these, I enter a note asking for the answer! (Please could you let us know for the sake of the glossary what answer you found? Thanks!)
The asker will get a message at least. I can´t promise it will help, but it is worth a try.

Adding agrees to the answer you think best helps the robot to select an answer automatically. It is really heart-warming as an answerer to get thanks or even points for a long-forgotten question, and just might help to keep good answerers from giving up.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

People who don't close their questions

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »