Thread poster: Sabine Akabayov, PhD

Sabine Akabayov, PhD
Israel
Local time: 17:03
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 20, 2009

This might be a good feature when the asker can't be bothered to wait grading the answers but it also has a drawback. It just happened that the asker found the first answer given as the most helpful. However, this answer was wrong and other, better answers were given later. None of the better,correct answers (2 of them) received more than 1 agree so the first, wrong answer was chosen automatically as correct and even entered into the glossary.
I believe, an answer receiving at least one disagree should not be chosen automatically as the correct answer. Maybe the asker should be notified and asked to grade the answer anyway even though he/she chose community grading in the beginning.
automatically chosen answers should not be added to the glossary automatically.
I also believe, this feature is not very useful. Every asker could wait 24 h without a problem before grading the answer. That doesn't mean he/she can't use the answers already given in his translation.

Direct link Reply with quote

The Misha
Local time: 10:03
Russian to English
+ ...
Automatic? No - and then no again Jul 21, 2009

I have just encountered this newly imposed restriction myself, and I found it a very unwelcome development indeed. I was ready to close within two hours of posting, but the system wouldn't let me, unless I went with this "community" thing. I'll wait. If people put time and effort into helping me out, the least I could do is come back and thank them personally and explain my choice. It's no bother. On a side note, I fully accept the fact that the folks running this outfit have a perfect right to set rules as they see fit. All we can do here is play by those rules - until, that is, we've had enough and decide to move our business elsewhere.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:03
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Been discussed at great length already Jul 21, 2009

Personally I also oppose this feature, but if you look at
http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/136495-askers_should_wait_24_hours_before_grading_or_transfer_the_grading_rights_to_the_community.html
you will see that the subject has been debated in the forum previously, and there seems little hope of getting it cancelled.

chica nueva
Local time: 03:03
Chinese to English
Automatic grading, after two weeks Jul 21, 2009

Hello sibsab

Automatic grading, after two weeks, is this what you are referring to?
http://www.proz.com/faq/terminology_term_help/kudoz/kudoz:_general.html#what_happens_if_a_help_question_isn_t_graded_

It's an old feature on the site - has been here for many years. In my experience, after being reminded, most peers grade their questions, so this feature doesn't get used all that often.

Lesley

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatic community grading

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search