Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:27
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 25, 2009

I am not clear on the rules about this.
What if a user registers on the site and asks the same question (a short slogan, not a word) in 11 different languages for a product? (So, it is for commercial use.)

Some of the issues I see are:
- The asker has no way of judging which answer is correct - as he/she does not speak the languages - other than relying on peer agreements.
- The asker is getting the work done for free while he/she is getting paid for it.
-
... See more
What if a user registers on the site and asks the same question (a short slogan, not a word) in 11 different languages for a product? (So, it is for commercial use.)

Some of the issues I see are:
- The asker has no way of judging which answer is correct - as he/she does not speak the languages - other than relying on peer agreements.
- The asker is getting the work done for free while he/she is getting paid for it.
- Most answerers don't know that the question was asked in many other languages.

Is this an acceptable use of KudoZ?

Katalin
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 17:27
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
A question Jul 25, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

How is this element different for any other KudoZ question that's ever been posted?

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
My best guess... Jul 25, 2009

Is this an acceptable use of KudoZ?

Katalin

is No, this does not seem to comply with KudoZ rules. There is a slight difference between terminology help and having a job done for free through KudoZ.

Laurent K.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What if... Jul 25, 2009

Thanks Laurent for your answer.
What if the end user is an NGO? Does it change the situation?

Katalin

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
I am not sure... Jul 25, 2009

Thanks Laurent for your answer.
What if the end user is an NGO? Does it change the situation?

Katalin

but there are people like me who would be glad to do some pro bono work. I guess KudoZ was used outside of its normal scope because "things had to go fast"... Still I don't feel at ease with this kind of use.
However, if the asker clearly states such facts (ie NGO work) in their post, if this does not happen day in, day out and if colleagues bother to answer, there's not much that can be done.

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-07-25 16:41 GMT]

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:27
French to English
+ ...
The poster should state that this is what they are doing Jul 25, 2009

as this gives answerers the option to respond or ignore and it alerts the community to the fact that peer ratings are vital on these particular questions. It doesn't particularly bother me, but if it was happening regularly it would start to feel abusive as the asker could give nothing in return.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
I think the rule couldn't be more clear Jul 25, 2009

No it should not be allowed, that is:

"Help" and glossary-building KudoZ are provided only for terms help and glossary building respectively. Use of the platform for advertising, discussions, or purposes other than getting or giving help with terms is prohibited.

http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_general/1.1#1.1

So, if someone is posting the same product slogan in many language pairs, he can't be looking for terminological help. I don't think we need to be able to 'demonstrate' his intentions, as in demonstrating that water boils at 100ºC, in order to define and stop such a behavior as abuse of the system. From the past I remember exactly such cases anyway, where the questions were squashed and the asker was warned. So, yes, there are precedents, too. But I don't know if the current approach in handling such cases is different.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How is it different - an answer Jul 26, 2009

Lingua 5B wrote:

How is this element different for any other KudoZ question that's ever been posted?

I think the difference is that in this case the entire job is that one slogan. Normally, KudoZ questions are asking for help with a particular term that is part of a sentence. The sentence is part of a paragraph, the paragraph is part of a chapter, and so on. The asker still does the actual work, he/she only gets help with a certain term (or terms).
So, I think there is a difference.

Katalin

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
From Kudoz FAQ 2.1 Jul 26, 2009

skers can also post sentences to ask for help in understanding a meaning, word order or a grammatical issue, but this should be done in the corresponding monolingual language pair. [...]
[/quote]

http://www.proz.com/faq/terminology_term_help/kudoz/asking.html#what_constitutes_term_help_as_defined_in_rule_http:_www_proz_com_siterules_kudoz_general_1_1#1_1_

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
This is nothing new at all Jul 26, 2009

Lingua 5B wrote:

I think the difference is that in this case the entire job is that one slogan. Normally, KudoZ questions are asking for help with a particular term that is part of a sentence. The sentence is part of a paragraph, the paragraph is part of a chapter, and so on. The asker still does the actual work, he/she only gets help with a certain term (or terms).
So, I think there is a difference.

Katalin

I've complained more than once about people posting marketing slogans on Kudoz and 'inviting' colleagues to give it their best shot, so Asker can pick their brains, select the most clever solution and then present it to a client as their own. This happens a lot when people are attempting a marketing text into a foreign language, but target language natives also post these questions on KudoZ since no "rule" has been created to stop this sort of abuse. And this is not the first company (NGO or not) to post in many languages at the same time for the cost-free "translation" of a marketing slogan.
In any case, we've been reminded that Kudoz is an 'option' and most complaints about Kudoz abuse are usually dismissed by someone (Mod or other) saying: "if you don't like the question, then just ignore it".

[Edited at 2009-07-26 12:39 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Good remark... Jul 26, 2009

writeaway wrote:

In any case, we've been reminded that Kudoz is an 'option' and most complaints about Kudoz abuse are usually dismissed by someone (Mod or other) saying: "if you don't like the question, then just ignore it".

but not the best option anyway. I just wonder how long this will last - systems such as KudoZ are vulnerable and open to abuse on all the sites I know... And I don't even intend to talk about "point chasing", which may induce or reinforce the abuse.

Laurent K.

erika rubinstein
erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Just now Jul 26, 2009

one person is trying to do it again. There is no moderator. And as I tried to mention it, my postin was deleted.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:27
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
KudoZ rule 3.7 Jul 26, 2009

erika rubinstein wrote:

one person is trying to do it again. There is no moderator. And as I tried to mention it, my postin was deleted.

Your post was deleted because it included the link to the question, and this was not in line with site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_answ/3.7#3.7

Enrique

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could we get an answer to the original question? Jul 26, 2009

Enrique,
If you are here, would you please answer what I asked in the original posting?
What is the "official" take on it?
Thanks
Katalin

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:27
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Style and meaning Jul 27, 2009

somebody wrote about:
"....people posting marketing slogans on Kudoz and 'inviting' colleagues to give it their best shot, so Asker can pick their brains, select the most clever solution and then present it to a client as their own.

As I understand it, Kudoz questions are supposed to be about the meaning of some specific word, perhaps as used in a particular context.

Surely translating a particular writing style into another, which would include wordplay and sloganeering, should not be the subject of Kudoz questions. That is part of the translator's task.

The way round this is to avoid answering questions that are not about meaning, but style.

You can't expect Kudoz to magically filter out all those questions!

[Edited at 2009-07-27 14:02 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Small job into many languages posted as KudoZ questions

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »