Close question page should have explanation field.
Thread poster: Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:11
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2009

The "Close Question" page only gives a choice of four options. If the asker just selects "Answer found elsewhere", without saying what it is, this can be rather irritating for people who have tried to answer
the question (including researching for it without actually submitting an answer) and would like to know what the answer is. I closed two questions yesterday, one under the heading "Errant question" and the other under the heading "Answer found elsewhere". In each case, I made an entry in the Discussion page to explain why one was errant and what the answer to the other was. Not many people bother to do this, but if there were a panel on the page with the option of filling it in (and maybe a recommendation that it should be filled in), explanations would probably be given more frequently.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ioanna Orfanoudaki  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 05:11
French to Greek
+ ...
Totally agree Aug 11, 2009

It is indeed very frustrating (I would even say rude), when the answerer has spent time to carry out some research, only to get a bare "answer found elsewhere" feedback... and even worse when one gets the impression that the asker hadn't done much research before submitting the question in the first place!

If the question is asked on the need of adding a field with the answer found, I vote yes! I would even go further and make the submission of the found term compulsory. At the end of the day, if I went through research for this term on someone else's account and need it for my own use at some later stage, I'd be interested to know what the outcome of that other person's research was. It's called team spirit.

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Double standard? Aug 11, 2009

I agree with you Jack. Wouldn't it be great if all Askers followed your example!
Askers have to be treated with kid gloves. No reminders of everything they were supposed to have done before posting the question (ostensibly as a last resort to get help with a difficult term), no remarks referring to the fact they clearly haven't understood the source text and/or haven't mastered the target language. None of that (rule 3.7).
But there is no requirement, rule or guideline for Askers to behave with courtesy and respect towards colleagues. Closing questions with just 'answer found elsewhere' after colleagues took time to help is simply rude and even insulting.
Perhaps a few strictly enforced requirements aimed at Askers would help correct this situation?

xxxhazmatgerman
Local time: 05:11
English to German
minimal effort Aug 11, 2009

may be sufficient to post questions and if I feel undersupplied with information I don't have to answer; that's simpler than adding yet another feature to the site. To my mind the site is already quite full of features the multitude of which confuses rather than delights me. Just my 2c.
Regards.

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:11
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Agree with Jack Aug 11, 2009

When I've found and answer elsewhere, I've had to write my explanation under one of the other topics on the page, but it would be better, when you click on "answer found elsewhere" if there were a space where you could explain why.

Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:11
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks Jack Aug 11, 2009

Jack Doughty wrote:

The "Close Question" page only gives a choice of four options. If the asker just selects "Answer found elsewhere", without saying what it is, this can be rather irritating for people who have tried to answer
the question (including researching for it without actually submitting an answer) and would like to know what the answer is. I closed two questions yesterday, one under the heading "Errant question" and the other under the heading "Answer found elsewhere". In each case, I made an entry in the Discussion page to explain why one was errant and what the answer to the other was. Not many people bother to do this, but if there were a panel on the page with the option of filling it in (and maybe a recommendation that it should be filled in), explanations would probably be given more frequently.

As I believe this is a good idea - I also get annoyed with the "answer found elsewhere" and nothing else, I notified staff and was tolda that this was added this to their backlog of ideas and suggestions for site improvement, to be evaluated for possible future implementation.

Regards

Ligia

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:11
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Also in their backlog of ideas Aug 11, 2009

I also asked them to display the answerer's country along with the answerer's name and picture currently displayed. When consulting Kudoz, we not only look for answers but answers specific to a certain population. If I translate something for the Southwestern region of the United States, and I know that the majority of the Hispanics there come from Mexico, I want a term that Mexicans understand so, when searching in Kudoz I take my time to see where the answerer is located. I believe it would be a tremendous help if one could immediately spot this information among the various answers proposed for a term.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Close question page should have explanation field.

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search