Wrong introductions in the glossary and possibilities to correct them.
Thread poster: belitrix
belitrix
Local time: 04:24
German to Italian
+ ...
Sep 3, 2009

I often find translations selected and introduced in the glossary which to me seem really non adequate. But once selected an answer - sometimes it is really difficult to decide between the possibilities - or only the one being offered - there seems to be no possibility to reintroduce the problem to discuss it anew and to change the terms of the glossary. Am I wrong or is there still no possibility to do so?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-04 06:32 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
"contribute to this entry" option Sep 4, 2009

Hi Belitrix,

Once a question is closed, you can still contribute to the glossary entry by clicking on "contribute to this entry" (right of the term asked and term chosen). Then a new window opens, where you can add an (dis)agree and some definitions.

Moreover, only the asker knows what the whole context is and what the best answer is for him/her in this context.

Stéphanie

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A disagree in the "Contribute to this entry" area Sep 4, 2009

That is the only thing you can do at this stage. I strongly encourage everyone to add to the glossary in this way. The disagrees will serve as a warning flag to future users who might happen to fall in that incorrect entry.

Chiara Righele  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
On the "contribute to this entry" option - maybe a bit OT... Sep 4, 2009

I try and use this option when that is the case, but who sees the comments in that area? AFAIK, you can only see such comments by clicking on "contribute to this entry", which, honestly, is not a button you clearly see, unless you're interested in it...
Plus, I don't even know if the one who entered the term in the glossary is at least notified of such comments... (I have never had replies to my contributions so far, nor the term was changed or corrected, i.e. from typos, which I usually report...)
From the outside, you also cannot see if a term has been commented in this field or not (which would also be useful, as the user would be prompted to check the comments...)

I think this feature should be improved, as already suggested in the appropriate forum (by Tomás himself, if I'm not mistaken)

Chiara

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed - No action has been taken yet apparently Sep 4, 2009

Chiara_R wrote:
I think this feature should be improved, as already suggested in the appropriate forum (by Tomás himself, if I'm not mistaken)

Indeed. The topic is here. Unfortunately there have been no news from Proz.com about this since July. Both Henry and Romina said this would be done but... as so many things related to Kudoz... nothing has happened yet.

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
The feature requested will be implemented in short Sep 9, 2009

Hello all,

I apologize for the delay in my reply.

I checked the status of this request and, as Romina explained in her reply to Tomas' suggestion, the feature you request should be implemented in the short run.

I will let you know as soon as I have news.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Lucia

belitrix
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I really would be glad for such an improvement. Sep 9, 2009

I appreciate this site for the possibilities it offers for searching terms, asking other pros for their help and contributing, as far as possible, to resolve questions. The job market is not what I'm (not yet) interested in and that is one of the reasons for which I did not yet subscribe.

It would really be useful to improve the glossary introductions by offering the possibility to (I'd say) discuss the problem anew.

As I'm aware of the fact that the term "disagree" might cause the most terrible reactions on the side of the answerer, I prefer to express my disagreement by a "neutral comment" which - in my opinion - is the most helpful and friendly way to create a co-operative forum.

And this is one of the most important things to consider - I think - when implementing the new possibilities of a correction of old introductions in the glossary.

But you also should take into consideration that the "Asker" is, in a certain way, forced to choose between the introductions, even if there are two or more possibilities which might also be correct in the same context.

Sure, you can't do the work in a few weeks the renowned dictionaries have done in several centuries. But updating the terminology and granting a certain quality - that is the task requested here to which you might surely be able to contribute.

And many thanks for all the answers to my question and also for the support of the Proz.com staff!

Jared Tabor
Local time: 23:24
SITE STAFF
Just to clarify Sep 9, 2009

Hi all,

I just wanted to insert a note of clarification on the implementation of this improvement, and improvements in general. Some requests and improvements can, and are, implemented fairly rapidly-- this of course always depends on the current queue of fixes and new developments. Others do take more time, not necessarily because they take more time for a developer to implement, but because priority may be given to adequately planning and mapping out the change before having it made. While this takes more time, it leads to a better result in the end. Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,

Jared

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wrong introductions in the glossary and possibilities to correct them.

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search